Mzee Ajabu

Mzee Ajabu had been exhausted before but today it was too much. Golfing and Tom had given him a headache, Diana had eased that headache but she had left every muscle in his body aching.

He got to the foyer of his manor and turned the lock to the seating room. His wife was on the couch reading a bible. Olivia was sprawled on the adjacent couch sound asleep with a maroon blanket with black stripes thrown on top of her.

"I haven't seen her in a while, do we even live in the same house?" he said to no one in particular.

"She's just exhausted, she is from her driving classes in town," mama Wairimu followed.

"Has she decided what course she will be doing in campus?"

"Public Relations and Communication, I think,"

"Atta girl, she's going to be my Human Resource manager very soon."

Mzee Ajabu put his briefcase on the table, moved close to her daughter and gave her a smooch on the forehead. Mama Wairimu was not sure if he showed her affection because he loved her or if he did it because he loved the course she had chosen.

"What have you made today?"

"Matoke and fried meat."

Matoke, again? I will have it for breakfast tomorrow," he said and left his wife insecure about her menu choices. He was not prepared to tell her he had just had an Episcopalian meal for the senses prepared by a chef at his lover's house.

Mama Wairimu looked at Olivia. She looked fickle even covered by that blanket. 'I saved her, she will get over it," she convinced herself and turned her bible.

It wasn't long before she lost her concentration again. 'How out of touch was her husband?' she mused. He couldn't tell what was up with his kids, he couldn't even tell what meal was had when? They had matoke the previous week. For some reason she resented him more for it even though it would have been to her detriment if he was a hands on father. She forgave him, it wouldn't be long before Fred recuperated fully, it wouldn't be long before her plan hatched.