Wairimu

Her phone was ringing non-stop. It started with the bank.

"Wairimu, I thought our contract involved paying employees and suppliers not buying yatchs, Ferraris, ramshackle ice-cream shops and boutiques?"

"I'm sorry, my brother and mother are running amok. My mistake for not telling you earlier. Please terminate the contract before things get out of hand"

"Thing's have already gotten out of hand Wairimu, or can you guarantee that the money we have lost will be paid back?"

Wairimu paused, "I, I, I..." the phone went dead. She cursed and pulled her hair and cursed some more.

She pulled up her contact book to warn the other stakeholders but before she could thumb in a single digit her phone went off again. This time it was one of their biggest supplier.

"I thought we had a thirty day agreement Wairimu, It's end month I have salaries to pay and bills to clear?"

"My brother is in charge, please take it up with his team."

"I did not sign a contract with your brother, I signed a contract with you, I trusted you."

"I understand, I'm sorry."

"This is not about understanding Wairimu, you're messing up our lives. My next move is to go to court."

I, I am so..." the line went dead.

It was the same thing when their biggest shareholder called, then a battery of influencer's followed. The tape replayed itself like a broken record every time she picked up a call.

She could not take it anymore. She picked up her phone and dialed her boyfriend. The phone rung and rung till it went dead. She called again and again and it was the same thing every single time. She cursed and pulled her hair some more. Tears misting her eyes.

Kitana was in a dingy pub, his tie loosened, his demeanor sagged. He was a man who rarely indulged in the pleasures of the senses but even he had his limits. An empty bottle of Jack Daniels sat in-front of him and he was slurring his words at the waitresses as his phone beeped beside him.

Wairimu switched off her phone went to the medicine cabinet and washed down two sleeping pills with a bottle of wine that was already halfway done. "I'm I turning into my mother?" she wondered out loudly as the world turned dark around her.