New Members

*Samantha's Perspective*

It had only been a week since Embry was finally able to control himself yet we had two new members fully prepared to protect our reservation, Adam and Nicole. We thought Johnny or Nick were next, maybe even little Seth Clearwater. Quil was a straight descendant and he was finally going through the transformation, days away from phasing. Leah was also undergoing the transformation, but she was the first female Quileute who has gone through this and it was a little weird for her. Amy wasn't going to transform, she had no Makah or Quileute blood in her. Nick barely had any so we weren't sure about him.

"What's worrying you?" Jacob asked me trying to smooth out the crinkle between my eyebrows.

"So many people are transforming. It scares me a little," I answered, looking at the woods. We were out on the porch swing enjoying each other's company in peace. We had barely seen each other this past week due to patrolling shifts. Sam switched us all up so I couldn't even fall asleep against Jacob.

"It'll be fine, they're here to protect the reserve," Jacob told me, holding my hands in his. I looked at him and just stared into those deep brown eyes. I hated the fact that I hadn't even been able to do this simple act in three days.

"But what if we lose someone. The Cullens think there's another one lurking around the area. There were some mysterious deaths just two towns over," I confided in Jake, and I felt my eyes start to wander. Carlisle taught me how to read the signs of vampire attacks. There were two little kids who just disappeared walking home from school. Their bodies were found with only a neck gash and but there wasn't a lot of blood around the neck area.

"Come here," he said and I rested my head on his chest then closed my eyes, "we'll get rid of them. Somehow, we will."

I still couldn't get the image of the mangled body out of my mind. I had woken up in the middle of the night screaming twice this past week. Once, I was all alone in the house and had to go to Billy's crying. The second time, Jacob was right next to me and comforted me back to sleep.

"I bet your dad is tired of me sleeping over there when dad's at work and Alex's on patrol," I stated.

"He actually likes the company, although you did scare him a little when you came over crying," Jacob said chuckling a little, "he just told me that he had no clue what to do with a crying girl and had to wake up Rachel for help."

"If only Nicole lived closer. She's seen the images in my mind on patrol," I commented. Jacob shivered a little and held me tighter.

"I'll make sure someone is always with you," he stated. He hated leaving me alone when he was out on patrol.

"I can just stay at your house, your dad is always there and Rachel is there most nights."

"What do you mean most nights?"

"Jacob you spend the night with me all the time, and we're 17. She's 22, she can make her own decisions."

"Fine," he replied with clenched teeth. "Do you want to nap? Your shift starts in an hour."

"Sure," I replied. We stayed on the porch swing and I felt Jacob's gaze on me as I slowly fell asleep in his arms.

***

I woke up to someone gently shaking me.

"Time to get ready for your shift," Jake informed me. I got up slowly and rubbed my eyes. It was about six in the evening and the sun had already set. I got to run around till midnight, always fun. At least I had Nicole this time instead of just Josie. Josie had transformed about a year before me and was really quiet which made patrol slow. Jacob led me upstairs to my room this time and he grabbed a loose shirt and sweats for me from my phasing clothes drawer. I quickly changed, not even caring whether or not Jacob saw me since we changed in front of each other all the time now. When I finished I notice that his back was still turned from me. I came up behind him and kissed his cheek. I stared at us in the mirror and I liked what I saw, except how tired we were.