Picnics and Truck Rides

Jacob's Perspective

I woke up around nine to find that my dad had left the house and that Tim's car was also missing. I grabbed myself a bowl of cereal assuming they were probably at Charlie's. After breakfast, I changed into some hiking clothes and headed over to the Reed's house. When I entered the house, it seemed as though no one was home.

"Hello?" I called out. I heard some footsteps above and started to walk toward the stairs. "It's Jacob!"

"I'll be down in a minute," Sammy called back. I took a seat on the couch and watched the stairs for Sammy to come down. Sammy walked down in a pair of shorts that showed off her long, tan legs and a flowy shirt that made her look graceful as she walked.

"Do you have any plans for today?" I asked, watching as she took the braids out of her hair and having her hair turn wavy instead of curly.

"Nope, I was hoping that we could do something," she answered plopping down onto the couch.

"How about a ride up in the mountains? Alex left his car and we can stop by the general store to get a meal for the picnic," I offered.

"That sounds great!" Sammy exclaimed jumping up. She headed over to the closet, put on a pair of boots, then grabbed an old blanket, picnic basket, and her purse along with the keys to the truck. "Let's go!"

Sammy tossed me the keys when we got outside, explaining that I knew the drive better. I quickly drove us to the general store and got some snacks and drinks for us with the twenty dollar bill Sammy handed me. Sammy stayed in the car while I shopped and when I got back, I could hear her singing along to the radio through the open windows.

"In our own little world, the music is the sun. The dance floor becomes the sea, feels like true paradise to me. Baby boy, you stay on my mind, fulfill my fantasies. I think about you all the time, I see you in my dreams," she sang along to the radio, oblivious to my presence.

"Hey there," I greeted. She slightly jumped out of her seat.

"Hi," she greeted back, acting as though she wasn't scared. Sammy continued to sing along to the song as she packed the snacks into the picnic basket.

We finally reached the base of the mountain and I was thankful that I was taking the truck instead of Henry's car on the dirt road. The roads were wet and muddy from the rainstorm last night, so it was taking a bit longer to get up the mountain.

"Another two miles or so until we reach our little picnic spot," I informed Sammy, right before the car jerked to a stop.

"I'm guessing you didn't see the pothole," Sammy commented, hopping out of the car.

"I was focusing more on how to get to the special spot," I explained while getting out of the car. I met Sammy at the back of the car. She gripped onto the side of the car as she walked, trying not to slip in the mud. Since the pothole was on her side, I climbed over the truck bed and jumped down next to her. Mud splashed all over the two of us and Sammy just stared up at me before she burst out laughing. I looked down and noticed that she was barefoot, but I didn't bother to ask why. I bent down and examined the pothole noting that it wasn't too deep, which meant it should be easy enough to push the car... I was suddenly taken from my thoughts when my face came into contact with a ball of mud. I looked up to find Sammy running away and slipping in the process.

"Really?" I exclaimed. I chased after her, finally getting my arms around her waist when we both slid and fell in a giant muddy puddle. We ended up wrestling in the mud and were soaked in it within seconds. Sammy was laughing the entire time and I couldn't help but smile down at her. I eventually sat on top of her victorious. I grabbed some mud and smeared it across her face as payback.