"I never did that with mine" I said, interrupting her. Maybe I just wanted to make her feel like the anomaly, or maybe I just wanted to stop her from explaining how they both sat fangirling about Tyler. I mean I was still hopelessly in love with Tyler, do you really think I would want to sit and hear about my best friend gush about him? I wouldn't have been able to hide the jealousy. And the last thing I wanted Mackenzie to thing was that I was jealous of her. She fed of the idea people envied her. That and drama are what kept her going and I was not about to feed the monster.

"But you're missing the point Khloe; you were a loner at the age of ten. Realistically why would you go to your mother to talk about a boy that you would never have a chance with? I had a chance with Tyler. Well I did until you came along," she said, looking at me with contempt.

Psychotic Bitch.

"I see your point, I was a loner, carry on," I said, desperate to keep the monster at bay. Mackenzie was scary when she went into bitch mode. If you think she was bad so far then you haven't seen her at her worst. It's the stuff nightmares are made from.

"When I got home, well when I got to my mum's new house, I told her all about Tyler and his heroicness. She just smiled and played along until I mentioned the whole "man who stand up for you thing". Her expression turned cold and I was afraid that I had angered her.

'Mack,' she said, 'there's something you need to know about the world.' She didn't even give me a chance to reply, she just went on to explain something that didn't make total sense to me until a while later.

'Your father and I met in high school, I was head of the cheer team and he was head of the football team. It made sense for us to date. We were a power couple; we were looked up to but also feared. This meant that people would frequently talk about us behind our backs but one day, your father heard what some girls saying some really cruel things about me and he intervened. I never really liked your father all that much until then. I figured that he would always protect me and care for me and as I grew up I was taught to look for a good guy who could care for me. I was never really bothered by anything else and for me, your dad was perfect. He had good prospects, he was going to go to college and play professional football. Professional footballers are paid well. I would be safe and looked after and that's all any girl could ever want. That's what I want for you Mack, I want you to be as safe and secure as I was. But I want that for you for the rest of your life. I would have had that if Lydia hadn't intervened. There's something that your father didn't want me to tell you Mack, but you need to know- you need to see how you can never trust anyone, including your friends! Your father has a girlfriend, she's called Lydia. She was his secretary and my friend. We went to school together and then her husband died a few years ago- the bitch probably killed him! Mack, she is evil,' my mum continued to rant about this Lydia woman, she taught me that I should hate her guts, 'Lydia split our family up, Mackenzie, and for that, she can never be forgiven.'"

Mackenzie paused from her confession and took a few moments to compose herself, I could tell she was in pain, but I was still confused.

"Mack... I know that talking about this is hard for you, but I'm still not sure how this has anything to do with me, you haven't told me anything that could result in me wanting to 'stab you in the back' as you put it. Everyone has family problems, just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. You don't know what happens behind closed doors," I said, sitting closer to her on the bed in an attempt to comfort her. After all, I would know that that statement was true. My family life wasn't as perfect as everyone, in particular Mackenzie, seemed to think.

Mackenzie then started to laugh, "You haven't even let me get to the best bit Khloe, I have so much more to explain to you and then you'll see how really involved you are," she said, looking at me with a strange glint in her eye.