Chapter Thirty Six

song of the chapter is Hozier's 'Work Song' 

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

Being dead gives you a lot of time to think and in a way I suppose the thinking time is helpful. Inside the last twelve hours I have managed to concoct a plan so evil and twisted that it makes what Mackenzie and the others did look like child's play. The pace of life in California was too fast. Each of us made our own mistakes and suffered consequences, however in light of recent events, I see myself as somewhat of a sacrificial victim.

So now I think it's my turn to purge. I think it's only fair that I get to sacrifice someone and I know exactly who it is going to be and how it's going to happen. All I need is someone to complete the task for me. But is it really a sacrifice if it's deserved? Sacrificial victims are normally innocents, and none of them are innocent.

Jackson entered the interview room which I had taken up residence in. Being at home was too painful and it wasn't somewhere I could be at peace on account of the forensic detectives roaming around my home like it was their playground. My parents and Jack still weren't even allowed to enter the premises and I hadn't seen Jack since the encounter in the witness protection room. Seeing Jack so distraught and knowing how guilty Chase was feeling had only doubled my need for revenge. Its one thing to mess with me, but the minute you bring my family into the equation I will fuck with you so hard that you won't even be able to look at your own reflection without being able to see me – literally. I will be there, continually ruining your life as I stand right behind you. They will know I'm there. I had a strong presence in life and I sure as hell refuse to simply fizzle out in death.

"I talked to your friend and his parents and none of them can give you an alibi because they didn't see you," Jackson stated as he placed a manila file on the desk with their statements inside of it. Chase groaned and I simply sat there not knowing what to do or say.

"But," Jackson started, "I spoke to all of the neighbours and I was starting to doubt I'd ever be able to find an alibi for you, but then I spoke to the elderly couple across the street. It turns out Mr Maxwell saw you arrive on their porch at the time of the murder. Apparently you woke him up with your drunken shouting."

Chase slowly raised his head and looked at Jackson for several moments as though waiting for the brunette officer to say that he was joking, "You have proof that it wasn't me?"

Jackson grinned slightly before clearing his throat and allowing his serious expression to return, "It's not a full alibi, but it's a start. I'm assuming Higgins will be going over exactly what I'm doing when he stops having to deal with the crime scene. They're bringing the cleaners in today so they must have all the forensic evidence they need. He seems preoccupied with the diary though."

"The diary?" Chase muttered, his tone exasperated.

Jackson winced before opening the file and pulling out a piece of paper which had a photocopy of what seemed to be a diary page on it. "August 25th," he began as he read out the entry, "Mackenzie and I went shopping and it was nice. I finally feel like we're reconnecting after the fight. It was stupid anyway and she thankfully agreed. It was weird apologising for being a bitch considering I've never had to apologise. But I guess that's the sort of thing you do when you want to fix a relationship that you care about. We have our differences but I know Mack is always there for me. Blood may be thicker than water, but Chase doesn't have my back. I know he's been watching me. I'm worried that he's planning something. I'm afraid he may hurt me."

Both Chase and I sat in silence as Jackson finished reading out the entry I had supposedly written.

"I never wrote that, I swear to god – I didn't write that," I said aloud, causing Jackson to turn in my direction. "I mean it's robotic for Christ's sake, my IQ is higher than that."