Chapter 12

His eyelids covered his electric blues and opened again to reveal blood red eyes. Instead of being filled with anger like every other time I've looked into them, they held a hint of regret.

"Mate. I apologize wholeheartedly for what I have done. It was not my intention to inflict pain on you in any of its forms. I had acted recklessly, triggered by the smell of another man on you." His orbs suddenly darkened in rage, the red swarming in his eyes like a fire in the pit of darkness. "Speaking of which." His hands that were resting on my waist clasped onto my thighs and pulled my body flush against his. "Who's scent did I smell on you, mate?" His eyes narrowed, silently demanding an answer.

Our closeness took away my ability to speak coherently as I struggled to form a sentence. "I...uhm..." I cleared my throat. "He's a friend I met during the ball."

His captivating firey orbs never left my plain hazel ones as he spoke, his deep voice dropping an octave lower. "You managed to make friends with an angel?"

My eyes widened as the words left his mouth. How did he..?

His grip tightened deliciously on my thighs. "Mate, I know an angel when I smell one. And you were definitely hanging out with an angel, a male at that." I gulped as his eyes darkened even more. "Now tell me, what was an angel, a male, doing on my property, with my mate?"

"He was just passing by. There was no harm done." I stared at him pleadingly, my eyes begging not to make a big deal out of it.

His raged eyes relaxed, searching mine for a while and he nodded once he was satisfied with what he found. "Alright, mate, I'll let this one slide. Only because I trust you on this." He gave me a pointed look.

I nodded and smiled weakly before hugging him. "Thank you."

He grunted in response and pulled back to look at me. "I've fulfilled my purpose of coming out. I'm giving Lucifer back control. I'll see you later mate. Knowing you, I'm sure that will be soon." He winked before his eyes closed yet again and opened up to show the blue eyes of the devil.

-----

"Shalom. Wake up, love." A deep voice whispered in my ear, sending sweet shivers down my spine.

I turned around in my mate's embrace to see him propped up on one elbow, his upper body hovering over me. I blushed and sat up, forcing him to move back to give me space.

"I want to take you on a tour of the palace." His eyes gleamed with hope and I couldn't say no even if I tried. I can tell he's trying to put some effort to make us work.

I smiled at him and got off the bed before making my way to the bathroom. "Let me just take a quick shower and brush my teeth."

I didn't wait for his answer before shutting the door, stripping, and stepping into the shower.

Maybe we can make it work after all.

———————————————
Hope you guys like it. Happy new year! Sorry for being late. Let this year be one full of opened doors and new opportunities for you all. Make every second count.

Please vote and leave some comments!