Chapter 5

Tina sat in her corner, her Transfiguration book lying open in her lap. She looked up to see John and Nathan coming towards her. John dropped to the floor beside her.

"Happy Halloween!" he said.

"You've said that to me three times already," Tina laughed.

"I know," John grinned, pushing his black hair out of his blue eyes, causing it to stick up more than normal. "I can't wait for supper. My mother told me all about the Halloween feast."

"Anyway," Nathan interrupted. "Do you understand Transfiguration?"

"Yeah," Tina nodded.

"Can you explain it?"

"Of course."

"Good," Nathan said. "Because I can't and John doesn't get it."

Tina laughed in spite of herself. "Go get your book and I'll explain it to you."

John nodded once, his round glasses sliding down his nose. He shoved them back on his face as he scrambled to his feet and ran off.

"So you understood it?" Tina asked Nathan.

He nodded. "I understood it, I just don't know how to explain it and John's been begging for an explanation."

John returned, slightly out of breath, clutching his textbook to his chest. He dropped to the ground and flipped it open. Tina began a careful explanation. Halfway through it, an unwelcome voice interrupted them.

"Goldstein," Eleanor called.

Tina groaned. "What do you want?"

"Did you take my necklace?" Eleanor demanded.

"What necklace?" Tina asked, a bemused expression on her face. 

"You know. The one that was on my bed. The silver one."

"Why do you think I took it?" Tina asked, trying to keep calm.

"It wouldn't be anyone from a different dormitory and, of the people in our dormitory, you're the only one who would have taken it."

Tina scrambled to her feet. "I'm not a thief!" she exclaimed. "I never even saw your necklace and if I had I wouldn't have even touched it."

"So you think Elizabeth stole it?" Eleanor scoffed.

Tina crossed her arms. "I don't know who took it," she retorted. "But, no, I don't think it was Elizabeth."

Eleanor scowled. "You think it's one of the twins."

Tina shrugged. "I didn't say that but they do seem most likely."

She saw Eleanor's fists clench. "One day, Goldstein," she hissed. "One day I'll--"

"What's going on?" Theseus approached them confidently, his robes swirling around his ankles. His Prefect's badge flashed as it caught the light. John and Nathan jumped up.

"Goldstein stole my necklace, Scamander," Eleanor blurted.

Theseus turned to Tina. "Is this true?"

"No," Tina shook her head. "I've never even seen her necklace. I've been in the common room all afternoon."

Theseus glanced between the two of them.

"It's true," John offered. "Tina hasn't left the common room since we got back from lunch."

"Thank you, Potter," Theseus said coldly. "Very well, I don't know who stole your necklace, Clark, but there is to be no fighting in the common room. If it happens again I'll have to deduct house points." He turned and walked away.