CHAPTER I

Story by: @Gregmikaels (Twitter, Instagram)
Cover artist: @MaiULive (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, DeviantArt)

CHAPTER I

For as long as I have lived and served the Toadstool royal family and the Mushroom Kingdom, our beloved land had always been at odds with its rival, the land of the Koopas, now ruled by the evil and ruthless Princess Bowsette. For years, our kingdom had been subject of her continuous assaults and many abductions of our monarch, Princess Peach, to conquer and unify through marriage both realms under her iron fist. Luckily for us, our kingdom was always defended and saved by the heroic brothers Mario and Luigi. To us all, thanks to their wonderful services to our land, they had become known to be the "Super Mario Brothers."

While both carried honor and courage in their heart, Mario was known to be the bravest of the brotherly duo. Audacious, strong, witty and fearless, never once his heart held hesitation to save our future queen from the evil clutches of the late King Bowser's daughter.

As time had passed by, I had taken notice of a great bond between our dear princess and the brave red-and-blue plumber. After so many adventures, it was no surprise that people whispered rumors regarding their relationship.

But sometimes, life had its way of revealing to one's heart that the true desired treasure is not as clear and obvious as we believe it to be. More than that, this desired treasure can be the one leading to the destined happiness we are due for.

I am about to tell you a story about how an unusual bond between a princess and a hero; a tale that opened the door to true peace, born from an unrequited love.

***

Months have passed since Mario's last adventure. Along with his new lad Cappy, the brave hero had traveled through an odyssey of new lands to foil once more Princess Bowsette's plan by rescuing Tiara, Cappy's younger sister, and the heir of our beloved Mushroom Kingdom from a forced marriage. After such a perilous journey, they all decided to take their time in leisure by visiting all of these wonderful kingdoms; this time without the stress of Bowsette's threat.

Sliding down the grand snowing slopes, exploring the ancient ruins at the desert, amazed by various new flora, bouncing gleefully on ground made of soft clouds, dancing to the rhythmic music from an urban city, the couple had a most unique and amusing time. Laughter and wonder blessed them.

Master Mario and the princess had been acquainted for a very long time and shared long adventures together. After such a long-shared history, a great bond between the individuals grew; one of trust and friendship. One would think that love would soon bloom between them. It was no secret from me that his heart had been captivated by Princess Peach's beauty and persona since the first time he had met her. The princess never shied away from praising the brothers's dual efforts to halt Princess Bowsette's evil plans, especially when it came to Mario.

But something was about to change this already-special relationship...

The Odyssey came and landed in the royal courtyard of the castle. As the door slowly opened, Princess Peach greeted me and her citizens around as we cheered her return. Soon followed Master Mario carrying her luggage that they had carried during their travels. Toad lent him a hand to carry the ones still inside the ship.

As I greeted them, I became quickly curious of the absences of dear Cappy and Tiara.

"We wanted to invite them to the castle," Princess Peach started, "but they asked us to drop them at their home kingdom."

"I see... Such a shame!" I said. "But I believe it is for the best. But please, Princess; do tell me about your voyage! I am certain that you and Master Mario have seen some captivating sights!"

The princess was delighted by my question. She was eager to tell me her tales and show the album of captured photography. I shared her enthusiasm.

Though his presence to us was a smiling one, I could see that something was not... right. He seemed distant and lost behind his attentive smile. Mario was not known to be this silent.

"Princess," he finally said before I could ask something first, "if that's okay, I'll be heading home and rest a little."

"Oh..." the princess seemed disappointed sadly. "I thought we could have supper while we told our vacation to the others."

As Toad and the others cheered for this idea, I calmed down their enthusiasm. Nevertheless, this idea was appealing to me as well. I was surprised that Master Mario did not share the same feeling as all of us.

What could have possibly happened during their voyage together?

"Don't worry, Princess," replied Mario. Happiness was in the smile, but a hidden tone of sadness carpeted his voice. "I'll make sure to come back tomorrow. I wouldn't want to miss that for anything in the world! But perhaps after a good night of sleep. After all, you were sleeping through our way back."

"Well," she said, "I could use the rest indeed."

"If the Princess was this tired," I said, "then perhaps we could hear about your voyage on another day." Toad and the others were disappointed of this news, but I vowed to prioritize the princess's well-being first over all.

"Don't-a worry guys," Master Mario said, "I'll come back tomorrow! We can share all the details and pictures we've taken with you."

The enthusiasm returned in the little fellows; I displayed a cheerful smile behind my mustache as well.

"Thank you,Mario for this long trip!" the princess advanced towards Mario and embraced him in her arms. I couldn't have witnessed a more beautiful gesture of compassion than this one. Perhaps Master Mario was just tired of his long voyage. Perhaps I was just seeing things that were not present with those weary eyes of mine.

"Anytime, Princess!" the gentleman smiled back.

"I can always rely on you," she continued. "You're truly are my best friend!"

I saw time froze onto Master Mario's face for a slow instant. I had a feeling that the smile he carried felt like a mask hiding an untold layer. Unfortunately, I was right after all...

I was not very fluent in the youth's language slang, but even I knew when one's heart had been trapped in what they had famously called the "friendzone."

Everything was now explained behind the emptiness of his smile.

"Of course!" He answered. "Have a good night, Princess."

"You too, Mario!"

"Ciao!"

He took luggage in hand and distanced himself from our little crowd. As he became a darker silhouette towards the setting sun, my hope of seeing Master Mario and Princess Peach bonded in love was now questionable; or worse, perhaps non-existent after her recent revelation. I could not begin to imagine the state of his heart.

To be continued...