Chapter Fifty-Three "The Dinner Party"

Start from the beginning

            "Come again?"

            "There was something you wanted to discuss," Philip offered, "I think now would be a good time."  I got another impression that night, that Philip was trying to say something to Thomas without really saying it.  I wasn't sure if Thomas was understanding or if he just forgot.

            "But Mr. Winchester," Faith begged standing beside him, "I thought that we would talk?"

            "We shall," Philip smiled taking her hand and kissing it, "I will call on you tomorrow, if that is all right?"

            "It is indeed," she breathed, her pinks cheeks flushing further.

            "Well then, let's be off," Thomas said.  Faith began to follow Philip towards the door but Thomas turned to me and cupped my chin, "I probably will not return until sometime tomorrow.  I want to settle that bit of business if I can."

            "Is Philip going to help?"

            "He might," Thomas shrugged a bit, "but it's getting harder to put off.  So be a good girl for me and read that book?"

            I felt my cheeks tighten as I smiled, "I will do everything in my power to do so."  I found myself standing on my toes again as I bit my lower lip, "One kiss before you go?"  The words were out of my mouth before I realized it.

            Thomas gently rested his hands on my shoulders and pushed me back onto my feet, "I should not kiss you and teach you a lesson," he said looking down at me in an attempt to be stern.  I let my head fall and did my best not to pout, not that I was able to control it.  When he lifted my chin again, he chuckled seeing my expression, "I said should," he reasoned, "not that I could actually do it."  He cupped my face and tenderly kissed me.  It was by far my favorite kiss yet.

            Faith and I said goodnight and headed for our room.  Lady Edgehill was waiting at the top of the stairs, "I must say, Miss Stanhope, you are a fast worker."

            "Excuse me, Lady Edgehill?" Faith asked curiously.

            "One afternoon and landing the viscount's only son?  Very well played," the smile on her face was false and accusing.

            "Lady Edgehill," I spoke up, "Faith met Mr. Winchester last year.  Your own son could tell you that!"

            "That may be, but it still was fast work," she narrowed her eyes at Faith, "I knew you were meant for great things."  With that the lady swayed down the hallway, leaving us standing there perplexed.

            "I think she meant it as a compliment," I told Faith.

            "It didn't feel like a compliment," she answered taking my hand, "I feel rather dirty."

            "I'm sure she did not mean it that way," I said coaxing her towards our room.  "Even if she did, it does not matter . . . you have been reunited with Philip!"

            "Yes," her smile returned swiftly as we hid behind the closed door, "and I have a feeling that I should thank Thomas for that."

            "I tend to agree, he did rather well though . . . "

            "Wait, you had nothing to do with today?"

            "Nothing, it was a complete surprise," I laughed.

            "Then I most decidedly do owe him a thank you," Faith sighed falling across the bed, "and one to you as well."

            "What did I do?"

            "You fell in love with the scoundrel," she giggled, "I do believe if it wasn't for you he wouldn't have cared one bit if Philip and I ever met again."

            "Hmmm," I thought, "it's very possible.  So yes, you do owe your happiness to me!"  With that she reached for a pillow to toss at me.  "I was only agreeing with what you said!" I said as I caught it.

            "I know," she sighed as she reached out for me, eager for me to join her, "I thank you wholeheartedly."

            "It's my pleasure," I grinned, "now you must tell me everything that Lady Winchester said!"  That began a several hour long discourse of the events of the evening as Faith saw them.  It was remarkable that she could account for almost everyone else around her despite her flirtations with Philip.  I would have to admit to missing much as I spent  most of the evening watching them or Thomas.  It was well past midnight when we changed into our bed clothes and as I began to drift off to sleep there were a few thoughts that stayed with me, Lady Winchester was most excited and impressed with Faith, so I believe that she will be the invited guest to their home in the near future.  Faith agreed with a yawn saying she must write to her parents in the morning so they'll be available to meet the soon.  Just as sleep overtook me I realized that I did not  reach for Thomas' book at all tonight . . . surely he'll understand.