The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"Manik, did we...did I do anything inappropriate last night?" I ask warily.

"It would be much easier for me to list your appropriate behaviour, mainly because there was none." My cheeks heating up, I turn around and bury my face in the pillow. How am I expected to meet Manik's gaze? He hasn't told me much, but I have somewhat pieced together my actions. 

"I didn't know you wanted to consummate our marriage this soon, Angel." Manik comments, making my breath stop in my throat. "Had I known you were this desperate..." He trails off, words not required to explain what's on his mind. "I also didn't know that you held my jewels in such high regard." Jewels...Oh.

"What exactly did I do?" I question, unsure whether I wish to know the answer to this or not. "Please just rip the bandaid off without any further delay."

"Not so soon, Angel." Manik tsks. "All in due time. Although let me tell you from now, you and I have made each other a promise; one that I won't let you forget." The mattress beside my head dips, as Manik shifts closer to me. The Devil leans down, his breath tickling the skin around my ear. "It involves this room," he whispers. "This very bed." His palm splays across my bare back, the pads of his fingers creating imaginary circles on my skin. "And you and I. The perfect recipe." 

Hastily, I kick my legs off the bed and get on my feet. There's no way I will be able to sit through Manik's detailed narration of the night before. It is quite obvious that the night before I have embarrassed myself enough to last a lifetime. Cheeks burning, I rush into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. A gut feeling tells me that Manik will never allow me to live down last night. I also strongly feel that alcohol and I have a lasting enmity. 

*****

"I'm frankly quite surprised that you decided to leave the house in this state." Manik says, parking the car in front of the orphanage gate.

"Manik, I'm the one who's amazed that I'm still alive." I say, letting out a soft groan. "Are you sure I had the right medicines to combat this headache?" Fisting up my right hand, I beat my knuckles against the side of my head.

"Yes, you did, and I ban you from taking any more. Angel, stop focusing on your hangover. Diverting your attention will definitely help shoo it away," Manik suggests. 

"That's like putting an elephant on my shoulders and then telling me to not think about the weight on me." Rolling my eyes - a movement that shoots a flaring pain through the centre of my head - I throw open the car door and step out. Why in the world does everything seemed heightened today? Manik's voice sounds louder than it usually does. My head feels like it grew another brain overnight, and now the sunlight is also beating down on me as if it has a personal vendetta against me.

"Angel, go on ahead. I have some work to take care of in the neighbourhood," Manik says. Nodding my head, I make my way into the orphanage. I'm already regretting my decision to come here the second the yells of excited children enter my ears. I wouldn't mind these sounds on a normal day. Today, however, isn't going too well for me. Unfortunately, our visit to this place couldn't be procrastinated any longer because Ma had personally phoned in the morning and invited us over today for tea. 

*****

"Check the music room," Ma says, as I step out of her room. 

"Yeah, I'm sure Manik's there." I say, shutting the door behind me. Ma and I have been keeping each other company for an hour and a half now, and there's still no sign of Manik. What work is he up to which is taking up so much of his time? To top it off, the Devil isn't even answering my calls. As I'm making my way towards the staircase, a young girl is heading up the stairs, a bouquet of roses clutched in her hands. The sight makes me smile because the size of the bouquet is probably twice the size of the little girl. God knows how she has managed to bear the weight of it without tripping. As our paths are about to cross, the girl stops in front of me, peeking her head out from the side of the bouquet.