Chapter 8

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Elaina was mad.

No. She was fuming!
If Dawn hadn't reached out to her... she probably would have torn that woman limb from limb. It wouldn't be the first time.

'It's not like we still can't do that... maybe later?'

She shook her her head. Now was not the time for those kinds of thoughts, she had work to do. Man, she missed the silence Dawn seemed to bring. It was annoying to deal with a crowded head. Tick. Click. Tick.

Villains have been spotted more frequently as of late, not to mention the monsters. Something dark was on its way... and it felt all too familiar.

Elaina lit a cigarette as she made her way to the room Star-Hero was spectating from. She could practically hear the lecture the people there were going to give her. She chuckled to herself. 'They hate it when we smoke.'

That usually drove her to do it more... she had nothing to lose.
"I wonder if Dawn would mind?" Saying the thought out loud caused her to halt.

Click. Click. Click.

Why did she care what he thought? She only just met the guy! Sure him and his sister were easy on the eyes... and she may or may have gotten attached to the awkward duo. But that doesn't automatically make their unknown opinions suddenly sway her lifestyle. Even if they were cute. Click. Click. Tick.

Elaina let out a deep breath as smoke surrounded her. Even if they wound up hating smoking, she would like to sit down for coffee with them again.

'We gave them our number. We even played nice with them... And it's not like we don't know where to find them... That boy does have the cutest eyes though. Wonder if he's legal?Man, imagine waking up to those eyes and that adorable face, him cuddling up under our chin after a long night of—'

Those thoughts were cut off by a booming male voice.

"Elaina my dear! How many times must I remind you that it is unhealthy and unattractive for a young women like you to be smoking!!!" Star-Hero looked down at her from his enormous hight. For most of general public, he was a strong and stoic leader, deserving of the utmost respect. For Elaina, however, he was just the reason she had so much work to do.

Clack. Click. Click.

Elaina just rolled her eyes at the Protector, and spat back at him. "I don't know if you notice, Star, but I got a whole lot of unattractive going up half of my god damn face! So I don't think a little cigarette is going to change that one way or the other!!"

After a moment of silence, he let out a heavy sigh. He had no intention to fight her. "El, I know this event brings you a lot of stress each year, and I thank you for your help... but it's my job to work about the good of all, and that includes you." He lifted a hand and pat her on the shoulder. He really could be too gentle at times for his own good. " I know it gets a little crazy in that head of your's, but you always pull through."

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Guilt. She put out her cigarette.

'He always gets us with that crap.'

One of the guards spoke over the radio attached to the near wall. "Sir, everything is in place. We're good to go."

Elaina turned to meet Star-Hero's eyes. He gave her a nod.

"On with the show."