Dream Drifting

(song----Shooting Star Naruto Shippuden ending 1)

Chapter 21 - Dream Drifting

Jun

"So bro, are you going to the Dream Drifting event at the end of the day?" Keita asked me after the girls had passed and the color on our faces had faded.

"Dream...Drifting?" I asked.

"Yeah, don't tell me you forgot about the one time we did it when we first became a team!" He exclaimed.

"Don't remember." I replied.

"It's where we write our dreams on the insides of paper lanturns, light a candle, and set it out on the lake. If the lanturn catches the mountain air, then the dream comes true. If it doesn't then, well, tough luck." He shrugged.

"Hmm." I said. It didn't sound too intresting to me.

"I remember the last time we did it. Back when we were genin, you said dreams were for children and didn't believe in them. Esunea convinced you to write one on the inside of a lanturn anyways. And in the end the thing didn't fly off. You were sooooo mad!" Keita laughed at the memory.

I, however, felt no humor towards the subject.

"Come on, that's hard to forget!" He insisted."Well, if you don't remember it last time, then you absolutely must do it this time."

"I have guard duty." I said dully.

"Ahhh, too bad." Keita said, feeling sorry that I couldn't participate in the event with everyone.

"I'm going now. See you later." I told him before vanishing onto the roof tops of another building.

Unknown to the people in the streets, hundreds of guards took up stations at strategic places on the village rooftops. I was assigned to the one near the pond, where everyone would gather to send their lanturns off. It was the corner of an old building that was the highest point around the water. The location would allow me to see everyone while no one would be able to see me.

Dream......ever since my time in the Anbu, I'd had to familiarize myself with certain words in order to fit in with the every day people. I knew the deffinition of the word. 1. A series of thoughts, images, and sensations occuring in a person's mind during sleep. 2. A state of mind in which someone is or seems to be unaware of their imediate surroundings. 3. A cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal. 4. An unrealistic or self-deluding fantasy. And finally 5. A person or thing percieved as wonderful or perfect.

Though I knew the literal meaning of these words, I had yet to understand them. I had been picked specially from Team 5 to become a part of a new program in the village. Randomly selected genin, from a pot of those who did best in the graduation exams, were put into a new team. This new team would be taught to forget their emotions, their goals in life, everything. Only the mission was important. If a comrade fell, you were to leave them.

It was a harsh life, but it was a life. Working in the Ambu had sharpened my senses and reflexes. I was able to hone my clan's ninjutsu in the time I was with them.

Even though I was away from my usual team mates, the mission I was on now still standed. I had to fulfill it for my master without question. No matter how much I disliked it.

I settled down on the roof top and waited for the target to come into view.

////////////////////////////////////////////////