Chapter Thirty-Five ~ Cursed

Start from the beginning

"Your word means nothing to me now."

"I'm going to get her back," Tommy promised. Michael scoffed, but Tommy continued. "I'll speak to him here. Arrange to get her back."

Michael shook his head. "Get the fuck away from me." 

As he walked away Polly looked back at Tommy. "Who took her?" She asked.

"The Odd Fellows," he replied. "I'll get her back."

Polly leaned close to him. "You fucking better."

***

The sound of the bell rang through the house and Lottie sighed miserably, her body visually deflating. Walking over to the dressing table, she quickly put on her red lipstick. Once finished, she left the room to make her way down the stairs. She had no choice but to look presentable to him - he hated scruffiness. Not that she ever looked scruffy, she thought to herself.

She made her way downstairs, her heels clicking on each step, bile riding higher and higher up her throat. An orange glow was shining through the doorway to the right. Lottie turned the corner and stood by the door, wanting to be able to run if she had to. James was sitting at the table, straightening the cutlery in front of him. Despite her not making a sound, he seemed to notice her presence. He looked up at her and smiled his charming smile.

That smile used to make her weak at the knees, warming her heart until it burst; but now... now it send fear through her entire body. His smile was terrifying. What made it worse was the fact that he still had this power over her after all these years.

He raised his hand and indicated for her to come over. He didn't say anything, but she felt compelled to move forwards.

She stood at the end of the table and waited for him to speak. He continued straightening his cutlery as he spoke. "Now you've come down," he said. "We should eat."

Lottie moved to sit down on the chair opposite James at the other end, but he raised his finger and tutted. "No," he said looking directly into her eyes. Even at this distance, his eyes were cold and entrapping. "You're getting the dinner."

Lottie clenched her jaw, her heart thumping as anger seethed through her. As she spoke, her voice was strained as she tried to prevent herself from shouting. "I think you'll find that I am not the girl you once married." She raised her head in dignity. "I am stronger."

He didn't seem at all concerned by her words, in fact, he seemed to find it amusing. "Oh, I'm sure you are, darling," he replied. "But even the strongest have their weaknesses. Everyone has a weakness." His smile grew. "And I know yours."

Lottie's body became cold in fear. Freddie. That was why he had taken her son, too. She had suspected, but ignorance was bliss - that she knew from experience. "You wouldn't..." she murmured.

"I will kill him if you ever step out of line," James snapped. "He's not mine - he's a bastard - so I won't feel any remorse in doing so. If anything, I'll be doing you a favour." He stood from his seat, his hands leaning on the table, either side of him. "Now. Go get the dinner."

Lottie stood seething. Never before had she seen red - but she fucking saw it now. She couldn't think - all that she knew was that she was so fucking pissed off. James sat back down as she left the room into the kitchen. Her heart thumping, she searched through the draws and cupboards for a knife or anything. But only to make her anger worse, there were none. No doubt James had thought of exactly what Lottie was planning.

Her eyes landed on the plates of food resting on the side. She picked them up in her hands and walked back to the dining room. With her jaw clenched, Lottie put her plate by her place and then she walked towards James. But instead of putting it down on his place, in an action too quick for him to react to, she slammed it down over his head. The shards of china smashed and scattered over his head and the table.