Chapter Twenty-Five ~ Collateral Damage

Chapter Twenty-Five
Collateral Damage

Chapter Twenty-FiveCollateral Damage

"Nothing good will come of it"

"Alright," said Arthur leaning forward across the table with false seriousness. They were sitting in the small room of the garrison; Arthur, Lottie, Finn and John. John was smoking on his cigar keeping his eyes away from the girl, only letting them flicker towards her when she was looking away. "What's happened?'

Lottie rolled her eyes. "Nothing's happened, Arthur," she insisted. He'd been badgering her about it since they'd arrived.

"I've seen you angry, but lately, you've been something else," he continued.

"Alright, alright," she sighed, lifting her hands up in defeat. She took a deep breath and the two men looked at her expectantly. "My lipstick ran out," she lied, sarcasm dripping in her voice. "I don't know what I'm going to do... I guess I'll have to use the blood of men who annoy me to stain my lips red."

Arthur chuckled. "Fine, don't tell me."

She smirked at him and took a sip of her drink. It was true, she had been beyond angry in the recent days. Since Polly had confronted her, she'd been furious. Polly had no right to talk to her in that way, to say the things she did - to threaten what she had... Lottie was on complete defensive mode, but ready to snap into the offensive. Already, she'd punched two men in the garrison who'd made passes at her and flipped over a table in the betting room. She was thankful Tommy wasn't there, although Maxim gave her a scolding afterwards, it was worth it to see Polly's expression. She knew she shouldn't fight fire with fire, but with everything she'd worked for put on the line, she was not going to go down without a fight.

She left to get another drink and when she came back, she saw they had their cards out, playing.

"So, it's as easy as that?" John was asking Arthur as she sat down.

"It's as easy as that, John Boy," said Arthur. "London. You wouldn't believe it." He turned to his youngest brother. "Finn, stick your head in a bucket."

"No," argued Finn.

"The women, John Boy, the women," continued Arthur.

Lottie sighed. "Oh, lovely. I left one bad conversation and now you're onto another."

Finn laughed slightly to himself, but the other two didn't care for her remark.

"There's this one, she's a dancer, right? She can do things with her..." he trailed off, looking towards Finn and sighed. "If Finn would just piss off, I'd explain a bit better."

Lottie snorted and lit another cigarette.

"Well, if it's so good, why are you here?" asked Finn, not wanting to leave.