Chapter Twenty-Four ~ May

Chapter Twenty-Four
May

"I want you to stay away from my son"

          The liquid was cool in her throat as Lottie emptied her small glass. She'd spent all the early morning with her horse and now she was readying herself for another day at work - and to do that, she needed a drink. Or a few.

          Just as she ordered her second glass, she heard a voice she recognised from the other end of the bar. Turning her head, she saw the young man of Michael Gray. Her red lips quirked into a smile. "Michael," she said.

          He looked over at her, his face relaxing when he saw her. "Lottie," he replied. "What are you doing here?"

          She lifted her now full glass. "A drink. It's been a long day."

          "It's only eight o'clock."

           "Exactly," she smirked. When he chuckled, she said with a smile, "Let's go through here." Lottie picked up her drink from the bar and started walking towards the back room and looked behind. "Come on."

          Michael followed her, taking his drink, too. Shutting the door behind them, Lottie then sat at one of the round tables and took out her cigarette box. "Want one?" She asked. She smirked when he hesitated. "Go on. You know you want to." When he smiled, she teased, "Be tempted, Mickey."

          "Mickey?" He repeated a gleam in his grey eyes.

          Lottie nodded. "It's the new name I've just given you." She lifted a cigarette between them, leaning in closer to him. "Are you tempted?" She could see him leaning in closer so that the only thing between their faces was the cigarette she was holding.

          "Yes," he murmured. He took the cigarette out of her hand and the two leaned backward simultaneously, smiling. With her lighter, she lit his and then her own, him spluttering as he breathed in the smoke.

          She laughed at him. "You'll get used to it, don't worry. If you want to."

          "I want to," he replied, lifting it to his lips again.

          She smiled as she watched him. "What were you doing in the Garrison by yourself?"

          "I want to get to know the area better," he said simply.

          "You mean to stay?" she asked curiously.

          Michael nodded. "That's what I want." He took out the morning's paper and put it in front of her. He pointed to an advertisement. "Tommy's looking for a clerk-"