Chapter One ~ 1919

Chapter One
1919

"Lottie, you're a great many things, but I could never describe you as a fool

"Lottie, you're a great many things, but I could never describe you as a fool."

          The morning sun woke Lottie, light streaming through the window. She cursed to herself, wishing she had curtains to block out the sun so that she could continue her dream. Groaning, she rolled over, smothering her face in her pillow. She had almost fallen back into sweet oblivion when her wretched brother opened the door. "I'll be late home today," said Freddie, tucking in his shirt.

          Lottie didn't look up but made a brief grunt in response.

          She heard him sigh. "Lottie."

          She didn't move.

          "Oi!" He snapped, chucking a piece of clothing at her head.

          "What!" Lottie yelled, throwing back the shirt he had chucked at her, her bright blue eyes glaring.

          He laughed at her, only infuriating her further. "Get up," he ordered. He left the room, letting the door shut behind him.

          She didn't know how long she stared at the ceiling, but it however long it was, it wasn't long enough. Begrudgingly, Lottie pulled herself out of bed and changed from her slip into a blue dress that matched her eyes. She tidied her auburn, softly curled hair and applied some make up, adding her signature red lipstick. If her lips weren't stained red, something was severely wrong.

           After the war, her brother, Freddie, spent less time with the Shelby's, the family the Thorne's had grown up with, whereas she still enjoyed their company. Freddie had turned to communism becoming one of the local leaders. It was dangerous, Freddie knew this, but he made sure she was never seen with anyone else part of the group so that she wouldn't be targeted. Lottie didn't mind his beliefs, she loved her brother completely, but recently he had been getting more and more conspicuous and bold. It was something that worried her. Of course, he waved off the concern, but she couldn't help from fretting. Just as Freddie ignored the Shelby's, none of the Shelby's talked to Freddie anymore either, not wanting to be associated with a communist. At first, she thought they'd turn their back on her, too, but they never did. She was thankful for it; they were family even if they weren't blood, they raised her. 

          Freddie's beliefs weren't the only thing that changed during the war. John's wife, Martha, had died in childbirth with the twins, a death that hurt them all. She had been so kind to Lottie, to everyone. She felt sorry for John as she knew he loved his wife and now he was left with four children, needing a nanny to help look after them. Lottie often volunteered to help and she was now seen as Aunt to them; a title which she was very happy with.