Chapter Thirty-Four ~ Taken

Chapter Thirty-Four
Taken

Chapter Thirty-FourTaken

"Lotitia"

Lottie approached her house, Freddie on her hip and a basket of food resting on her other elbow. Freddie gurgled and happily spoke gibberish to himself, occasionally exclaiming and hitting Lottie's shoulder to gain her attention as she fuddled with the keys. "Alright, alright," she chuckled to him. "Give me a second."

Reaching the end of the street, she made her way towards the door, only to stop once she put the key inside. The door was already unlocked. Furrowing her brows , confused, she was convinced that she had locked it before she had left - she was never that thoughtless, even before Michael. Leaving the key in the lock, she reached into her clutch that was hanging on her shoulder and tightened her fingers around her gun. She didn't want to use it in front of Freddie, but she wasn't going to enter unarmed.

Cautiously she pushed the door open. It was empty. "Fucks sake," she whispered to herself relaxing. "Idiot." She must have left the door unlocked. Putting the gun back inside her clutch, she moved towards the kitchen to put away the basket of food. She lowered Freddie to the floor to let him dawdle around the apartment. "Go on," she dismissed.

Lottie set the basket on one of the cabinets and began to unpack it until she heard Freddie cry out. She snapped around. "Freddie?" She called out, fear spreading through her body. She left the kitchen, but as soon as she walked through the door, she felt hands grab both her arms. Instinctively, she fought back, kicking and trying to free herself, knocking off the basket of food onto the floor. "Get the fuck off me!" She shouted.

Managing to free one arm, she turned to see who had grabbed her. But it was not who she was expecting. It was a policeman. Two. Another appeared in the hall and also grabbed her. The two men pushed her to her knees. With as much effort as she could, she tried to pry herself out of their reach. "Get off me!" She shouted. "Get the fuck off!"

Her shouts were cut short when slow footsteps walked towards her from behind. The policemen turned her to face the approaching man. He was tall and wore a pristine blue suit; his hair was dark and styled backwards and had a neatly trimmed moustache above his upper lip. His eyes were dark and calculating, staring down at her with an arrogant expression. Lottie seemed to lose her ability to breath at the sight of him.

"James..." she whispered.

He smiled charmingly at her, but she knew it was fake. She wasn't fooled by it as she once was. "Lotitia," he greeted. He then looked up at the two policemen restraining her. With a nod of his head, they forced her to stand. "Aren't you going to kiss your husband 'hello'?"

Lottie only spat at his shining shoes.

It was then another policeman entered the hall, Freddie in his arms. "I found this one in the other room."