Chapter Thirty-Five ~ Cursed

Chapter Thirty-Five
Cursed

"Everyone has a weakness"

The streets were dark and poorly lit with the dim street lamps that guided Michael's way home. He smiled to himself as he looked down at his hand, a small ring box was resting on his palm. He didn't know how he was going to ask, but he decided he was. And he hoped to god she'd say yes. He reached into his pocket to grab his key for the door, but then he froze. The door was agape, a key already in the lock. Holding his breath, his eyes wide, terrified for what he might find, he slowly pushed the door open. As his heart thumped painfully in his chest, he lifted his fingers to trace the scratch marks on the walls, following them to the kitchen where vegetables were sown across the floor, Lottie's small bag on the cabinet.

Michael froze at the sight of it, unable to move until he suddenly sprinted out the room and into the others, calling out. "Lottie! Lottie! Freddie! Fuck! Lottie!" He bent over, his heart beating so loud now, he was sure it was going to burst his ear drums. He ran his hands through his hair, tears threatening his eyes. "No, no, no," he murmured to himself. "Fuck! Shit!" Where were they? What happened? What should he do? Think. He had to think. He grabbed his set of keys and Lottie's and rushed from the apartment. He tried to think. Stupid. He looked down at his clothes and remembered the foundation dinner that he had arrived to pick Lottie up for. Without another moment's thought, he jumped back into the car and raced for the event.

Even though he was relatively early, the hall was busy with people. He didn't care who he pushed as he forced his way through, desperate to find Polly or Tommy. He spotted his mum by a mirror and rushed to her. Polly was smiling, but it dropped when she saw the manic look in his eyes. "What is it?" She asked.

"She's gone," he panted.

"What? Who's gone?"

"Lottie. She's gone. She's been taken, Freddie, too." his heart was beating so loud and fast he was sure it was going to break out of his chest. "I don't know what happened. They're gone. They're fucking gone! The key was in the door, the basket in the kitchen - she didn't leave, Polly, she was taken."

"Wait here," she said. She disappeared into the crowd. Michael leant against the wall, tears threatening his eyes. Was this a panic attack? He didn't know, he couldn't think. Polly reemerged with Tommy. He lept up.

"She's gone, Tommy, she's gone," he exclaimed.

Tommy nodded. "I know."

He paused, his heart stopping. "What?"

"I was told today," he said. "The priest told me, they took her because I saw Ada. Once I show we're not going to threaten their plans, they'll return her. She's safe."

"Safe! How is she safe?" He snarled. "If this was Grace and Charlie, you'd fight like hell to get out of the deal - you fucking selfish bastard!"

Tommy grabbed Michael's shoulders. "I can't get out of the deal, but I will get her back. You have my word."