Chapter Nineteen ~ The Reopening

Chapter Nineteen
The Reopening

"Oh, Nic, forever my saviour"

          London had gone just as Lottie had predicted it would - with Thomas almost dead. Yes, this didn't happen in London, but it was his actions in starting a war with the Italians, against Sabini, that resulted him to be lucky to be alive. All because he ignored her warnings. Lottie had rushed over as soon as she heard the news. His face made her gasp at the sight of it. Cuts were all over his face, bruises tinting it purple, and his eyes were swollen. However, when she noted that his attitude was not damaged, she joked, "I hate to say 'I told you so', but I told you so."

          Tommy managed a small smile, but stopped as it was too painful. She stayed with him for a while, him telling her what had happened: Sabini had come after him for wrecking his club back in London. They were at war. Lottie couldn't understand it. All these men did was say how the Great War was awful and how much they suffered, and yet they were all determined to be back in one. With a final kiss on his forehead, she said goodbye, her heart worrying over him. He was more important to her than she wanted to admit and to see him like that was as if she were the one who had been beaten up.

          After visiting him, she made her way to the Betting shop to use one of the phones. Every week Lottie phoned Ada just to keep updated, but this week when she had phoned, there was no reply. Lottie couldn't help but feel incredibly worried. Trying to keep calm, she tried again the next day, and to her hearts relief, Ada answered.

          "Ada?" Lottie said. "Are you alright?"

          "Yeah, fine," replied Ada evasively.

          Lottie's brows knitted together. "Why don't I believe that?" She asked sarcastically. "Has something happened?"

          "Why do you always assume the worst when it comes to London?"

          "Because I know what London's like," she retorted. "Something has happened though, hasn't it?"

          Lottie heard Ada sigh through the telephone. She waited patiently for her to speak.

          "The other night, some men tried to attack me - nothing happened, don't worry, Lottie," she added when she heard the girl gasp. "But it's just reminded how much I want nothing to do with being a Shelby."

          "Ada-" she began, but Ada cut across.

          "No, Lottie, I know what you're going to say," she said. "I'm not coming back to Birmingham. I can't return every time something goes slightly wrong-"