Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Changretta's

Start from the beginning

She heard Michael cough. Lottie made her way to the set of drawers to the side of the door where a decanter sat on a tray along with a glass, and poured herself a drink. The girl looked back towards Michael, confused. "I should get back," she said.

"Yes, run back to mummy and daddy," sneered Lottie.

The girl jumped up, her face beetroot red. She looked towards Michael as if for support, but he offered none. Finally, unsure what else to do or say, she stormed out the room, slamming the door behind her.

"Was a pleasure to meet you!" Lottie called out after her. She turned back to Michael. "And what were you doing?"

"She wanted some cocaine, I was only making sure we didn't have a death on Tommy's wedding day," he explained.

"Hm," she hummed, stepping towards him like a lioness stalking her prey. He grabbed her arm and pulled her onto his lap. His grey eyes landed on her, a mixture of love and lust. Without looking away, he put the cigarette down on the ash tray and faced her properly. Leaning in, their lips met. It began soft, but soon became feverish. Lottie shifted her position so that her legs were either side of his, her hands on his cheeks, and then in his hair; his on the small of her back, slowly making their way down to her thighs, pulling her closer to him as if he wanted their bodies to be touching completely. They broke apart, out of breath, their cheeks flushed. "You want to go somewhere?" He asked, panting slightly.

"Oh, god, yes," she replied instantly. She quickly jumped up off him pulled him up by his hand, leading him out the room, the two practically running as they made their way upstairs to the room they had been assigned to stay in for the night.

***

With the money received from the duchess, they were all on the lookout for the Russian infiltrator who had the wrong codename. Maxim walked around the crowd, checking in the various rooms searching. He opened another and found Ada sitting on the sofa with the Russian leaning towards her, his arm resting behind her head. Fire boiled in his stomach. They turned to see him.

"Max," she said. "We were just talking politics."

"I see," he said, moving to sit on one of the armchairs.

"Max, are you alright?" she asked.

"Fine," he said looking at the fire. He cleared his throat and looked at the man. "You're wanted in the stables," he said. "There's a woman waiting there. She's just arrived."

He nodded and stood. 

"Arthur's waiting to show you." Maxim stood as well. "I'll take you to him."

Ada turned, frowning. "What's going on?"

"Just business, Ada," Maxim said. They left the room and Maxim took the Russian away to where Arthur stood at the edge of the main room.

***

Back at the gambling den, the smoky room was familiar compared to the large house that Tommy owned. Lottie made her way straight to the kitchen where Polly was sitting, cigarette in hand. "Smoke?" She offered.

"Yes, please," said Lottie with a smile as she joined her at the table. Polly pulled out another cigarette and handed it over before she then offered a match.

Lottie took a deep breath in of the smoke, letting it fill her lungs. She sighed happily and lent back in her chair. She looked around. "Where are the boys?"

"Who knows," Polly muttered turning a page of her newspaper. Her eyes flicked back to the girl. "Have you told him yet?"

"Michael?" asked Lottie.