Chapter Thirty ~ Surprise

Start from the beginning

    The suddenly, as if her thought had summoned it, a commotion broke out; police shouting that the IRA were on the course. John smiled. "Alright, make ready boys, this is it."

    "Thank god," said Lottie under her breath. She tightened her grip on the gun in her hand.

    "You four get round the back," instructed Arthur. He and John dissected the group with individual orders, Nic going separately. He nodded to Lottie before disappearing, a large rifle in his hands. Lottie looked to Finn. "Stay next to me," she said, seeing the boy trying to figure out whether he was excited or scared.

    With their smaller group, they stood in Sabini's pitches. Lottie smiled politely at one of the men and then revealed her pistol, her red smile remaining on her lips. The man was frozen, but as she stepped closer, the gun pressed against his temple, he gave in. His hands on either side of his head, he knelt on the grass before her. John tackled another to the floor, Maxim doing the same. Arthur took hold of the licenses and with his lighter, the set them alight. Lottie smirked before kicking the man in the chest with her heeled foot. Arthur chuckled and wrapped his arm around Lottie's shoulders as they walked away from the poor sheep left in the dirt.

    The Peaky Blinders all reunited in one of the drinking tents and countless drinks were ordered. Lottie sat with her boys, smiling and laughing, relieved of what they had accomplished. But with the absence of Tommy, she couldn't quite relax in the thought that everything had gone perfectly without a hitch.

    As if some cosmic joke were being told, the two women in Tommy's intimate life stood on opposite sides of the tent. Lottie was sure Grace hadn't spotted them, but May noticed both the Shelby's and Grace dressed in her finery. Lottie stood, and when Nic looked at her confused, she said, "I'm just going to say hello to an old friend." She kissed him softly on the cheek before walking towards the blonde. She lent on the bar next to her, an amused smile playing on her lips like a cat staring at a mouse. Grace almost jumped when she noticed Lottie beside her, but she was good at hiding it. As if it were a reflex, Grace lifted her hand to her jaw. Lottie remembered the last time they'd seen each other, she'd punched Grace twice in the face, knocking her to the ground. Despite being small, Lottie was strong. She'd been fighting along with the boys since she would walk. To fight with Lottie was a bad decision.

    "Lottie," said Grace in her Irish accent.

    "Grace," she replied. "How are you?"

    Grace looked out in the crowd. "Fine," she said stiffly.

    "Tommy's not here," said Lottie sighing. "He's busy."

    "Busy," she repeated quietly. "He said for me to meet him here."

    Lottie nodded. She paused. "Freddie's dead,"
She said in a quieter voice.

    This took her by surprise. Grace turned to face Lottie properly, sympathy seeping through the cracks of her unemotional façade. "Oh."

    "Of an illness, not a traitor." Lottie paused and then smiled. "I don't hate you, by the way. I won't be calling you a friend, but I don't hate you. None of us do, except maybe Polly, just so you know."

    "Why are you telling me this?"

    "Because I know that if you're here to see Tommy, then we might be seeing more of each other," said Lottie. She stood up straight. "Good luck with Tommy." With that, Lottie turned on her heel and re-joined the others, watching as May took her turn talking to Grace.

    Even with the boost of confidence of the events of the day, Lottie still couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her. Shivers gripped her spine. Again, Lottie looked around the room, panic seizing her heart. There. No. It couldn't. Was it? Him. Like a ghost. Maybe she's losing her mind. She shut her eyes tightly, shaking her head. She's just imagining things. Lottie.