Chapter Twenty-Five ~ Collateral Damage

Mulai dari awal

"A decent pint," replied Arthur. "The cockneys can't get that right."

John chuckled, slapping Finn on the back. "He misses us, Finn."

"I hope you're being careful," said Lottie.

He drank deeply from his glass. "I haven't forgotten, don't you worry, Lottie," he said. When the door opened to the small room, they all looked up. It was Michael and Isiah. "Here they are, look," said Arthur. "Junior Peaky boys."

Lottie smiled at them, not being able to help herself, but quickly hid it with her glass as she took a sip. Her smile faded, however, when she saw Michael's bloodied and bruised knuckles as he sat down. She reached forward and tentatively touched his hand. It wasn't too bad, most of the blood didn't seem to be his own, but no doubt it would scar if it wasn't cleaned soon. "What happened?" She asked.

"Some idiots at the Marquis of Lorne," he replied carelessly. "They tried to stop me and Isiah from drinking, but it's alright. We fought them off."

Lottie sighed and sat backward. She looked towards the Shelby's; she recognised the expressions on their faces. "Now, you've done it," she muttered to herself, quiet so none of them heard.

"Arthur, we had to stand our ground and we did," continued Michael.

Arthur sat forward and straightened his jacket, a smirk on his face. "The Marquis, eh?" He stood up along with John and Finn, although they pushed down their younger brother so he was sitting again.

Lottie looked to Isiah. "Where's your dad?"

"Preaching," he replied.

"Right," murmured Arthur as he and John left the room, John calling out to Finn not to knick of any of his chips.

"Where are you going?" asked Michael.

"We won't be long," he replied as they disappeared out the door.

Michael turned to Lottie. "Where are they going?" He repeated.

She sighed. "The Marquis of Lorne."

"Shame," said Isiah. "It was a nice pub."

She shrugged. "Got a reputation to uphold, we do." She lifted her gaze to meet Michael's, her eyes landing on the cuts on his face. She cleared her throat and turned to Isiah. "I think it's time you went home. Don't start any more fights on your way," she added with a smirk.

When Isiah left, Lottie downed her whiskey and stood, clearing her throat. "Come on, Mickey," she said.

Michael looked up at her, confused. "Where?"

"Well, you can't jolly well go to Polly's with your fists looking like that, can you?" She replied. "I'll get them cleaned up so that hopefully she won't notice - although she probably will," she added in a lowered voice. "Come on."

He stood and the two of them exited the pub. As they walked down the road, John and Arthur were walking towards them. "You didn't have to do that for me," said Michael as his way of thanks.

"We didn't do it for you, Michael," said Arthur coolly as they continued to walk past back to the garrison.

John looked at them, his eyes glowering slightly. "We did it for the good name of the company," he said. "None of this happened, alright?" He added.

Lottie lowered her eyes away from John's not so discreet glare as she put her hand on Michael's arm to keep him walking. "Come on," she said. She could feel John's stare on her back as they continued on. But Lottie was not going to think of John. The two arrived at the apartment and Lottie took out her key. "Is this where you live?" Michael asked.