Chapter 38: My Darkest Secrets

Eric looks at me sideways as I sit at my desk. He only breaks his gaze from the computer for a moment.

"How are you doing Ana?" He asks.

"I'm fine." My response sounds mechanical. Eric stops typing on his computer and turns to me abruptly.

"Ana," he says looking into my eyes. "In all my years of life I've learned that when a woman says she's fine, and there are storm clouds behind her eyes, she's not."

"I don't want to talk about it." I say.

"I can tell that you are thinking about something difficult. I can see the fear in your face. If you don't want to talk to me about it, that's your decision. I'm here if you need me."

"I would really love to tell you what's going on in my mind, but it could result in your death." I half joke.

"Is this about your ex-boyfriend, that fear on your face?"

"Yes, no. Wait, what?" How could he know about my past?

"The guy you broke up with last week?" Eric asks.

"Oh, no. Not him. Don't worry about it."

Eric makes a face and decides to change the subject.

"So, remember how I was telling you about my friend. He still wants to meet you if you're up for it."

"I already told you to set it up, it would be rude not to meet him. I'm not looking for a relationship though. He needs to know that from the start. I'm already in one and I don't think I could handle another man's jealousy and mood swings."

"I thought you broke up with your boyfriend?" He asks.

"We didn't really break up. We took a break."

"Ok.... when are you free?"

"Um... tonight. Or anytime really." I answer.

"I'll give him a call and see when he is free. Can you promise me something?"

"Possibly." I shrug.

"Don't bring your boyfriend along."

"I won't. I don't need a fight."

The rest of the day was fairly slow. Eric got ahold of his friend and set up a meeting with him on Thursday evening after we get off work. A bunch of us from the office go out together occasionally. I've only gone a few times. After spending all day with people I work with, I don't find too much fun in spending my evening with them to. I don't like to end up dancing with my managers, it makes me feel very unprofessional when I have to face them at work the next day.

I'm not really sure why I agreed to meet this guy. I'm confused about my relationship with Mark. It scares me to think he might abandon me because he thinks he puts me in danger. I can't figure him out. He's fine one day and the next he is freaking out. Maybe meeting this man is my way of showing myself how I really feel about Mark.

***

Thursday evening came much faster than I expected. I told Mark I had plans with a friend after work. He made plans to work on his bike.

I left with Eric after Mark had gone down to the garage. I didn't plan on changing because I wasn't planning on staying more than an hour. Eric came to work in an expensive looking suit. When we got to the club everyone we work with seemed to be there.

Eric takes my hand and pulls me inside. He scans the room then looks at his phone and scans again. Finally, he spots what he was searching for.

"I see my friend, come on." He pulls me further through the mass of bodies and into the VIP section. I feel a little uncomfortable suddenly in that area. I catch the evil eye of several snobby women that are very overdressed. In a dark corner at the back a man is standing next to a table. I can't quite see his face, but he is a big man. He has to be 6'4" and his shoulders are twice as wide as Mark's. I know if I had to try to fight him off I would lose.