Chapter 5: The Party

It's Wednesday night, the night of Matt's party. I took a while deciding how to dress. The Benedettis have a family home in the same neighbor hood.  I saw it through the window of the taxi, three houses away from Matt's. As the driver pulls around the fountain in the center of the driveway I see the party is in full swing. Matt's place is impressive. I should've figured if he could buy himself a Lamborghini, he could afford a mansion. There is a giant swimming pool around the back that must've been three times the size of my whole apartment. 

A bunch of girls are giggling in the Jacuzzi off to the left. I make my way through the crowd of people laughing and dancing, looking for Mark.

A familiar hand grabs my arm. I turned to look at Mark and he smiles. I'm so happy to see him. I jump on him and wrap my arms around his neck.

"Hi there angel, it's ok daddy is here now."

"Watch your step daddy, you might end up in the pool." I say pulling myself closer to him.

"Oh really, you want to try. If you do it, I'm taking you with me."

"We will see about that."

"It's fine by me, perfect decision to wear a white dress though."

Son of a bitch!

"I would say the one wearing it was perfect." I turn to see Matt walking towards us. "What a pleasant surprise Mark. You often don't attend my parties. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I asked him to come." I say before Mark could answer, letting him out of my hug. "Your house is a little much, but it is really pretty."

"I'll show you around later if you'd like." Matt smiles at me.

"You'd better keep her away from your shit Matt." Mark growls.

Mark's voice is menacing, I feel flattered that he's protecting me.

"What are you her bodyguard or something more? You need to make your decision. She won't wait for you forever." Matt growls back.

A man walks up and whispers something to Matt as he finishes his drink.

"I'll just be a minute." He says excusing himself.

"There's no hurry, take your time." Mark growls.

I smile at Mark.

"What?" He asks.

"Nothing."

"I can tell it's not nothing from the look in your eyes."

"Are we really going to do this again? I just think your being a little tough on your brother. Really aggressive."

"What? You think I'm being aggressive?"

"Yes actually. When you are around him I hardly recognize you."

"Our relationship is complicated." Mark looks at his shoes pouting like a child that's been told no.

"That's for sure." I sigh.

"You wouldn't understand."

"How could I understand, you don't tell me anything. We are supposed to be friends. You could at least tell me a little. I know nothing about you."

"We are friends, but I don't want to talk about my brother. What do you want me to say Ana?"

"I don't know. You know your kind of an ass when you don't get your way." I look away for a moment.

Their sibling rivalry is beginning to annoy me.

"I'm going to take a walk." I say. I turn to leave.