Chapter 25: What Did You Do

Matt's shady business tends to rub me in the wrong direction and to be honest it's really scary. The Vazquez's haven't had easy lives. It's hard to judge them quickly or blame them for how they found a way to survive. All the warning bells are telling me to stay away and yet I have a desire to experience the danger. I hail a cab and give him the address. We pull up outside of Matt's house and I could hear music thumping down the street. I half expected him to be alone having a quiet evening, possibly in his pool deep in thought, but there is a party in full swing.

I round the side of the house and spot him quickly. My blood boils as I see him but I still can't help but feel a little bit jealous. He's sitting surrounded by girls in bikinis with a glass of tequila in his hand by the pool. So this is what he likes? A swarm of easy bimbos after his money. The cliché is very disappointing. The Matt that confided in me all those weeks ago is gone, replaced by this egotistical asshole. Why does Mark try to protect him? I walk over to him using all my will power not to punch him in the face, or at least push him in the pool. Instead I grab the glass out of his hand and slam it on the table next to him. The look on his face changes, he smirks at me, which pisses me off even more.

"Angel, happy to see that you could join us!" He said.

"I see you've taken up the harem as usual, even if it is just for the night."

He smiles at me.

"I don't give a damn about your party and we need to talk!" I say loudly.

Matt's expression changes. A lot of people look in our direction. They must wonder who I am to take such a tone with the great Matt Vazquez. Matt stands calmly retrieving his glass off the table, he knows our conversation is going to be lively. He gestures for me to follow him.

"What Ana?" His voice is annoyed.

"Don't speak to me like that. I thought you were going to stop this."

"Did you come here to lecture me or make a scene?" He asks.

"I came to talk to you, I didn't expect you to be surrounded by all of THIS." I wave my arms toward the party.

"What do you want to know." He knows that I'm not leaving until I get answers.

"You are such an arrogant son of a bitch!"

"I don't see how that's a question Ana." His jaw tenses. "Don't push it!"

"Awe, did I strike a nerve."

Matt glares at me and drags me a little further away.

"Your brother is really depressed; did you know about that?" I ask him

"Yes, I'm aware. Thanks."

"You really weren't affected by leaving. I mean look around."

"What would you know about how I feel Ana? You know nothing about me. You have done nothing but judge me since we first met. You string me along and pretend to be my friend just because you are with my brother. You are clearly not interested in me. It hurts me to see Mark like this. I didn't want to leave. I didn't want him in the middle of it. I love my brother, he doesn't deserve to be as depressed as he is. Who the fuck do you think I am Ana?" Matt throws his hands around and rolls his eyes as he speaks. He brushed his hand through his hair, very annoyed with me, but I don't really care. "And you know what, all of this, was so I could take my mind off things and just relax for a while. Sometimes you need a day for yourself. Other times you throw a party to forget what you can't have!"

"Oh, so you have your way with a bunch of easy girls that are after your money. Strange way to forget! I almost believed you when you said you were through with all of this. And to say that I judged you or I'm stringing you along is complete bullshit! I have been more than patient with you while you have played games with me. I had an interest in you and you gave up! You had a chance to be with me but instead you let your little brother push you around. I never said I didn't want to be with you."