Chapter 7: Fight It Out

This morning, as expected, my face shows my lack of sleep. Like a really bad hangover, my head is throbbing. I drag myself to work, star style, wearing sunglasses because my eyes couldn't stand the sunlight. On my arrival I wasn't surprised to see Mark wasn't there yet. He probably had more trouble than me getting up. Two hours later, still no sign of Mark. As time ticks on I begin to wonder if he even heard his clock go off this morning. I hear someone behind me and turn to see Dean coming into my cubicle.

"Hello Dean."

"Hello Ana. Have you seen Mark this morning?"

"No, he had some family problems that spilled over into this morning. He won't be here until after lunch."

"Oh, I hope it wasn't serious."

"Me too, I hope everything is okay."

We are interrupted by Colten. Dean excuses himself to assist with some design crisis.

"Where is he?" Colten asks.

"His brother was in a race and had an accident last night." I answer.

"He talked to you about that?" Colten asks sitting in Mark's chair.

"Yeah, I was with him at the hospital last night. He called me and asked for me to help him."

"He texted me last night and told me about it in the middle of the night. He told me his brother was okay."

"Yeah Matt had an injury to his back. They kept him over night. I still haven't heard from either of them and I'm beginning to worry."

"Don't worry Ana, I am sure everything is fine. Mark is just taking care of his brother's mess as usual."

"As usual?"

"Yeah, Matt always is getting himself into trouble that Mark has to sort out. Between them there is a merry fucking mess."

"Can you try to call Mark and find out what's going on."

"I'll try but I can't promise anything." Colten leaves with a worried look on his face.

At least one good thing came out of Matt's accident. This was the first semi- normal conversation I've ever had with Colten.

I send Mark a message. "Where are you? Dean is looking for you."

Three P.M. and still no sign of Mark. Suddenly I hear heavy footsteps I've been waiting to hear all day. He rounds the corner.

"Hey angel!"

"Mark."

I stand up and eagerly give him a hug. I'm relieved he is finally here.

He gets settled in his chair tucking his motorcycle helmet under the desk. He looks exhausted.

"Are you ok? How's Matt? I was so worried about both of you."

"I'm frustrated, it was complicated getting him out of the hospital. I finally convinced them to let him out. He's in pain but he'll live. I had an argument with Matt, but I don't want to talk about it."

I let Mark settle and get comfortable. He needs a moment to catch his breath. If Mark doesn't want to elaborate that's fine. Judging by the way he looks it was a really bad morning.

"Didn't you have your phone?"

"No, I was really out of it this morning. I forgot to grab it. Did you try to call?"

"Yes, I was worried."

"Your too sweet angel." He says looking at me tenderly. He comes toward me laying his lips against my forehead.