Chapter 10: Round Three

As often, I'm in a bad mood when I get to work and not just because I have to work on Saturday. Matt's message keeps coming back to mind. I stand at my desk pulling my things out of my bag.

"Hey angel!" Mark comes up behind me hugging me around my waist. He obviously doesn't suspect a thing.

"Stop doing that, it's annoying!"

"What? Hugging you? We had a good night, didn't we?" He says with confusion on his face. "Did you not sleep well? I thought about you all night and I slept like a baby."

"No, coming up behind me and startling me. And yes, we did have a good night, that is... until I got a message from your brother when I got home. Do you have something to tell me about your brother?"

"What did he do?"

"Him? Nothing."

"Ok what did I do? Ana what's the matter?"

"Do you have something to do with the fact that he's been ignoring me?"

"I can't believe it, I should've known he wouldn't keep his word." He sighs, now looking at the floor. Mark looks furious.

"So, it's true then?"

"Yes, and I don't feel bad about doing it."

I feel like he's driving a knife right through my heart. Why does he have to do that? Why is he so cold when it comes to his brother?

"Who the hell do you think you are?" I say, I know that he can see the hurt on my face.

Mark gently takes my arm pulling me slightly closer.

"Ana you don't know him, it's just he's not somebody you want to hang out with."

"Let go of me!" I jerked my arm away from him. "You are not allowed to tell me who I can and cannot see. You do not control me."

No wonder he kept avoiding my questions about his brother. How dare he tell his brother that we can't see each other behind my back. And then he lied to me every time I ask him about his brother and he would say he didn't know!

"You really let me down." I say. "I thought you were different."

Marks face distorts. This time that is me it's hurting him. We look at each other for a moment, speechless. I turn away and head for the break room, if I don't leave now I'll end up in tears.

"Ana can I see you in my office in about 15 minutes?" Dean asks as I walk passed in the hall.

"Absolutely, I'm gonna grab some coffee and then I'll be on my way." I forced a smile.

I sit in Dean's office for 10 minutes. He had to explain some things to one of the design teams. Which works out fine because I don't particularly want to go back and see Mark. I hear footsteps behind me.

"Yes sir, it will be done Mr. Simpson." Dean says. He closes the door and settles himself behind his desk. "Right, now to us."

Dean grabs a folder from the top of the stack on his desk. "This morning I negotiated a new contract with a new client. He was with one of our largest rivals and I persuaded him to come to us."

"Wow! Good job."

"Nothing is set in stone yet, I need you to help me on this. I'm in trusting you with this file. It's a big client and you can retain him by handling the whole thing A-to-Z right here."

Dean stares at me. I feel like his words have a double meaning.

"Thank you Dean, I won't let you down."

"I have no doubts about that Ana, up till now your work has always been a pleasant surprise. Your work is fantastic, don't ever underestimate yourself." His words do me good helping me to regain some confidence. Sometimes it's like he can read my mind and knew what I was feeling. "Everything you need to know is in this file. If you do have any questions don't hesitate to come and ask. We will be working together on this everything you need to know is in his file. We will be working together on this until I feel you are ready to take over."

"Great, thank you Dean."

"Would you be free one evening to go get a drink? Outside of work?" Dean asks.

"Yes, I'll have to let you know."

"Perfect." He says smiling at me.

I stand and leave his office returning to my cubicle. The rest of the day was weird. Mark and I didn't speak. I buried myself in the file that I had been entrusted with. I had lunch with Lexi. I told her about my fight that morning with Mark. We decided that a night out was necessary.

We met up at the club after work.

"Hiya!" She says walking confidently towards me. "Shall we go inside?"

We make our way through the club until we find some seats.

"Remember tonight the only rule is have fun!" She says.

"I'm gonna try."

"Let's start by going to dance."

We run to the dance floor and move to the music.  I watch Lexi smile bright as two guys approach us. We make large movements forcing them to stay back. It's girl's night out, no guys allowed! One of them grabs my hand and before I have a chance to shake him off another more familiar hand rests on my shoulder. I turn around and come face-to-face with Mark. What is he doing here? I look at Lexi questioning her, the look in my eyes says, "Did you ask him to come?"
She looks at me innocently. I feel trapped. I really want to just forget him for tonight. Without taking a second look at Mark I run out of the club. I'm furious, did Lexi set this all up! I dig in my bag in search of my phone. Not finding it I start to grumble to myself. 

I'm so frustrated I drop my bag. The contents spilled all over the ground. The only good thing that came from dropping my bag is that I found my phone. Mark and Lexi come out of the club arguing. I dart around the side of the building and run down the side walk. I take shelter in a small bar and run into Matt.

"Well isn't this a pleasant surprise." He says smiling at me.

"Great," I roll my eyes. And then I get an idea. "In the spirit of revenge can you do me a favor and help me evade your brother."

A devil's smile crosses his lips.

"Let's go." He says.

We walk out to his car. I go to climb inside. As I open the door Mark sees me. There is worry on his face.

"Ana." He yells.

I don't give him time to get to me I climb in and Matt pulls off.

"Where to, doll face?"

"I don't care, just away. Somewhere where he won't find me."

I turn to look out the window. What a crazy day. So many emotions. I look at my phone I have several messages from Lexi and Mark. I send Lexi a reassuring message and put my phone in my bag. Seconds later my phone begins to ring. I pull it out and look at the screen. It's Mark. I send it to voicemail and shove my phone back in my bag. Within seconds Matt's phone starts to ring. We both know who it is. He ignores it. I settle back against the seat completely drained and close my eyes for a moment.