Chapter 4

A/N Please comment, vote and most importantly share this if you like it. Thanks for being great readers!
------

About a week into training, Cato makes good on his promise to teach me proper sword fighting. It's something Favians always shied away from, though I can't understand why. After running the obstacle course several times each, Favian and Argus dismiss us for the day. As some of the oldest we are nearly always the last one out of the gym. Surprisingly, when I enter the locker room to grab my bag, there's at least three other girls waiting.

I don't really want to deal with them, but my sword is in my bag. I sneak around the long way--every word of their conversation ringing through the room.

"I can't believe she got paired with Cato!" The voice spits out "she" with venom while nearly drooling through Cato's name. How pathetic.

"I know," chimes in another squeaky brat.

"You wanna know what the worst part is?" This time I recognize the voice all too well. "I think she has a crush on him, I mean get real. Why would someone like Cato EVER want a piece of trash like Clove!" I grab my bag and steel my heart. No emotions. I do not listen to my heart because my heart is weak.

Instead, I flounce right past the flock of mean girls, pausing only to throw a knife that barely cuts the last girls cheek. Blood trickles into her perfect blonde hair, but she's not hurt--not seriously.

"That was a warning. Next time you talk smack about me, I won't miss." Ralae gives me a glare so nasty it could kill a puppy. I spin around and walk off. I have enough to worry about without their jealous whisperings behind my back.

Oops, I finally realize. Cato is going to be so mad. I just knifed his girlfriend. Oh well, it's not like I care what he thinks anyways.

Bag in hand, I head to the smaller gym above my main one. Not many people know it's there, making it the perfect place for us to practice. When I arrive Cato is already armed and in the process of slashing things to bits. I have to admit--he's amazing. The hard lines of his muscles ripple as metal clashes with targets. Cato is so focused he doesn't notice me until the last dummy is slain. I don't know how we can afford to constantly replace these but district 2 will do anything for its tributes.

Cato looks at me expectantly, like I should be fawning over him by now. Though impressed I simply say, "Teach me how to do that." Cato is surprised by me, I don't think any girl my age has ever treated him like this. But he doesn't seem upset either. Good. I'm not changing my ways.

"You want to grasp the sword like this," he says, demonstrating. "Make sure you swing in an arc, slice don't chop." Nodding, I take up my short sword and prepare to attack the dummies. "Begin," Cato commands as I swing the sword. My form is off but I am quick. Cato shouts corrections from my side. After a few minutes he suggests we spar.

"Ready to eat my blade?" he croons mischievously.

"Give me my knives and we'll see who's laughing." This only makes him smirk more. We touch blades and begin. Cato is quick to attack, forcing me to be defensive. I make one good parry before Cato forces me to back up, losing ground with each of his powerful slashes.

Within a minute Cato has the blade to my throat. "Again," I say. He nods. A look of focused concentration fills his eyes as we clash back and forth. This is the real Cato, not the player Ralae sees. By the fifth time he's beaten me I have lasted longer but we are both panting. I grab some water and walk back over to him.

"You're doing better, just fix how you're holding the blade, here." He grabs my hands and adjusts them on the handle. My skin burns and I yank away from his guiding touch. The sword clatters to the ground. He stands there looking at me with confused blue eyes. I stare at the ground, pick up the sword, clear my throat and say, "I think that's enough for today. Wevcan start on knives tomorrow."

"Sure Clover," he says but I can't tell what he's thinking. I turn, avoiding his glance, grab my bag and leave.

***************************

The next day starts out uneventfully. Cato greets me with a smile that I return in smaller magnitude. We set to work on some strength training--a silent agreement not to mention our extra training last night to either coach. Favian is harsh and distant, screaming at me when I can't keep up with Cato. Cato--who happens to be a year older than me and a teenage guy is beating me at push-ups. What does he expect? Cato being better is irksome but Favian's taunts just hurt. I am shocked when Cato slows down ever so slightly and gives me a small nod of encouragement.

Argus doesn't seem to notice. he's here half of the time and high. No big loss. I'd feel badly for Cato except then I remember who my own trainer is and can't seem to spare the empathy.

When we break for lunch, Cato joins Ralae, Jordan, Chase and Roxy at the popular table. Ralae is basically sitting on Cato. I don't like Cato but I can't help feel embarrassed for him. Not that he minds Ralae's attention anyway. She whispers something in his ear and for a moment I think they're about to sneak off when he whips around to face me. I sit by myself at the smaller tables along the wall. Cato gives me a dirty look, face lined with fury. I'd forgotten about the little knife incident yesterday. Ralae obviously hasn't.

Before we return to training, Cato corners me in the stone hall. "What is wrong with you? You tried to kill my girlfriend," he rages, too close for me to handle. I step back, pressed against the wall.

"She was talking trash about me. And anyway, I missed on purpose."

"What if you had hit her by accident?" Cato shouts. A few people are glancing our way. I'd better end this fast before I witness Cato's legendary temper for myself.

"I never miss," I reply coldly.

The rest of the day is spent in silence.

When training finally ends, Cato leaves without a word. I guess we won't be having extra practice tonight. Whatever. He can trade his crown for the blonde if he likes. Instead, I follow Favian home, mindlessly reviewing the days workout. When we get home I notice he bolts the door behind me.

"I don't like that Cato boy. You shouldn't talk to him outside of training."

"He's not doing me any harm. we aren't even friends. And anyway, I can talk to whoever I want," I can't resist adding. Favian's face grows dark with rage.

This isn't going to be good.