Chapter 20

A/N First off I'm sorry this took so long. Ive been traveling for sports and didn't have internet connection. Hope you enjoy!
------------------------------------

I am woken up by a gentle prodding. "Clover," Cato whispers, "It's time for us to go. I don't want to impose on Old Ella any longer." I groan awake and try to sit up. That is a mistake. My body screams and I stifle one myself. Cato notices and eases me into a sitting position. Tears of pain sting my eyes.

"Where're we going?' I mumble incoherently.
"Somewhere safe." Is all he says. Cato moves to pick me up but I swing my legs over the table and try to stand. All my weight is on my left ankle but it still hurts. Cato hands me a pair of crutches saying, "I knew you'd want to walk."
I struggle to my feet and test out the crutches. I'm still wearing Cato's hoodie but I don't have anything else.

Old Ella comes to walk me out. She hands Cato a small bag and gives him instructions for when I should take things. "Be well Bellah," she tells me. I thanks her whole-heartedly and promise to visit. Cato and I step into the brisk dawn.

At first I'm not sure what to say. After all the revelations of last night I don't know how he'll treat me. Have I ruined our friendship forever? I hope not. The wind whistles around us. It's still early so the streets are empty. Just the small effort of dragging myself along on the crutches causes immense pain. I start to wheeze before we reach the end of the block.

Cato notices and slows his pace considerably. We come to a patch of ice and I pause. My crutches won't grip the slick surface. Cato promptly grabs beneath my arms and swings me over it. I laugh giddily and the tension dissipates.

"Where are we going?" I finally ask.

"It's a surprise." he smirks.

"C'mon Cato just tell me!" I whine and his grin grows.

"Watch it Clover or you might end up in a snow bank." He jokes.

"You wouldn't push a cripple." I mock.

"Oh yeah?" his blue eyes take on a mischievous glint. Before I can react Cato scoops me up. He is as gentle as can be, placing me piggy-back style beneath his broad shoulders. I wrap my arms around his neck and he takes the crutches for me. Secretly I am glad for his help. My vision is starting to blur with exhaustion.

"Is this ok?" Cato gestures to his hands holding my legs. I snuggle into him and breath roughly.

"I trust you," I say and fall into a dazed sleep.

-------------------------------------------

I wake when Cato stops and eases me off his back. I'm not used to so much physical contact with people but Cato has been kind and understanding. He doesn't comment when I avoid touching his fingers as I take my crutches back.

We stand on the porch of a beautiful Victorian home. It's actually more of a mansion. Flying buttresses and ivy climb the red brick walls. Even in winter bushes and trees dot the landscape green. The castle like house is so big it's scary. There is an air of sharp foreboding. I don't feel welcome here. I doubt anyone would.

The oak double doors swing open and I am face to face with a severe looking couple. Both have cropped blonde hair and light blue eyes as cold as ice. The woman is dressed up with heavy makeup but offers no warmth or acknowledgment of my presence. The man has a stern chin and hard set expression. They both glare at Cato expectantly.

For the first time since I've met him Cato looks nervous. He stands up straight and speaks carefully. Its almost as if he is trying to impress these two.

"Good morning," Cato says, "This is Clove." Cato turns to me with an apologetic look on his face. "Clover, I'd like you to meet my parents."