Chapter 16

I spend an hour everyday with Cato in our private gym working with a sword. I'm getting better and people are starting to notice.
"Good job today Clover." Cato says one day and I give him a smile.
"You sure you don't want to try your luck at knives?" He fakes a shudder and sassily responds,
"Not in a million years." I laugh at his hand motions and he shoves past me to his training bag.

I can't help noticing the way his muscles stretch as he bends down. Cato unzips the bag and pulls out a package. He hands it to me. It's long and heavy, embossed with beautiful green ribbon, my favorite color.
"What's this?" I ask.
"Open it." I rip off the packaging and nearly drop it.
"Cato" I exclaim, "what is this?" I pull the carefully crafted blade from it's glittery cave. It is just the right length for me, perfectly balanced and weighted. It glimmers golden like Ichor-the blood of gods.

"It's a sword Clover. You know, a sharp metal stick you stab people with?" he jokes.
"I know that!" I snap. "why are you giving it to me?"
"Think of it as a late Christmas present."
"It must have been so expensive. The only sword like this I've ever seen is yours."
"They're a matching set." he says and I blush. I don't know why.
"This is too much Cato. I can't owe you for this." I try to hand it back but he won't take it.

"Keep it. Seriously. It can be your birthday present too if it makes you feel better."
"My birthday isn't until May."
"Early birthday present then."
"Ok," I say, It is really nice. "Thank
you."
"Of course. Anyway, I thought we could call it Hercules."
"Why?"
"So I can brag that I got you a guy for Christmas after all." I slap him jokingly and can't help but laugh.
"Too bad he's also sharp pointy and vengeful."
"Think again Clover, you're describing yourself." He smiles and tosses my bag to me.
"In that case I left out smart, dangerous and deadly."
"And beautiful." He adds quietly. I blush and pretend not to hear it. Quickly walking out the door I yell goodnight to him.
"See ya Clover!" Cato cat-calls.
"Don't call me Clover!" I yell back. By now it's become an old joke.

-------------------------------------------

I know something's up as soon as I walk through the door. Favian is sober and working at the kitchen table. When I sit down he hands me a bowl of soup and I tuck in, starving.
"Where were you this afternoon Clove?" Favian asks. I suddenly get the sense I am being interrogated. And this is my last meal.

"Extra training. Only a few months till the games. I have to be ready." I respond hoping this will appease him. The trainer part of him seems happy but it is my father I worry about. He's not your father I remind myself. Not really.

"Who were you training with?" He's asking dangerous questions.
"Just a friend." He stays quiet a moment and I finish my soup. I'm still hungry but afraid to ask for more. He looks up and stares me right in the eye.
"I notice you've been improving with sword fighting."
"Yes, I've been working hard at it."
"There's very few people better than you now. Though Cato is still eons ahead."
"Yes." I say carefully, "I'd have to agree."
"Probably because he would never teach you enough to beat him. As his student you will never master it." Uh oh. He knows.

"I have my knives. You saw me take him on with only two at Tournament. With my improving skills I can beat him for sure."
"But you won't want to." I don't know what he means by that. "I don't like that boy. He's a bad influence on you. You need to stay away from him, get your head on straight. Remember who it is you're going into the Games with."

"But we're training partners." I whisper.

"That is unavoidable. Unfortunately. But from now on I don't want to see you near him. And never let me catch you training with him again." I nod shakily, fear and anger bubbling in my stomach. This won't help me win the games. It's all for him. That's all he's cared about this entire time. "Promise me you won't train with him Clove." Favian growls.

"I promise." I say, knowing for the first time that I have no intention of keeping my promises.

--------------------------------------

The next day I pull Cato aside before practice. "I have to tell you something." He allows me to lead him into one of the less used halls and stands waiting for me to speak. He's in grey sweats and a blue shirt that makes his eyes stand out. His arms are crossed expectantly. I sigh and tell him the half-truth I've decided on.
"I'm not supposed to train extra with you anymore. Favian found out."

"Why would he care who you train with?"

"He doesn't really trust people. It's not personal. As you can tell it kind of runs in the family."

"He's not your father Clover."

"He's all I have." I whisper and Cato quiets. He looks at me almost sadly for a moment before continuing.

"So what now? That's just it?"

"No! I want to keep training with you." I lower my voice. "Just without telling him."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" It's a good question.

"Absolutely." I say. I can't lose this again, I think.
"Great." he grins. "Super secret spy training begins."
"You're such a dork." I tease.
"Oh that reminds me I have news too." I pause at the door back to the main gym. Cato's voice has an odd tone to it.
"Yeah?" I ask. I'm kind of scared of what he's going to say. Cato's usually so laid back and he sounds serious.

"I broke it off with Ralae. For good this time."

My heart skips a beat.

A/N Thanks for reading! Please comment, vote, and share! :)