Chapter 56

Cato and I are finally alone, beneath the stars. I walk to the railing and peer out at the city below. Cato joins me. "I'm still in shock," I tell him, "I didn't think I was going to make it out of the arena."

"When I though you were dead it almost killed me." Cato admits. He turns to face me, and the look on his face is one I recognize very well. His pupils are blown wide, a soft smile on his lips. Cato looks at me like I am the only thing in the world that could possibly matter. He leans towards me until his lips are almost brushing mine.

"Cato," I say.

"Mmmm?"

"Cato stop. Don't kiss me." It breaks my heart to say. Cato pulls back, a hurt look on his face.

"Why not Clover? Haven't we suffered enough?" He says angrily.

"Exactly, you've suffered enough. I don't want you to have to worry about me. About Favian. You deserve someone whole and good who can be there for you, who you don't have to watch because she'll hurt herself someday...I'm a burden. I'm damaged."

Cato takes a few steps back, turning around and throwing his hands up in frustration. He turns to face me, speaking with exaggerated arm movements. "You think you're the damaged one? You think I care if you are? I care about you Clover, I protect you because I want to. Can't you see that?" He sighs and comes a little closer, comes back to me.

"I look at you and all I want to do is kiss you. Tell me you don't feel the same way." He says desperately. He looks at me with wide blue eyes, terrified I will tell him I don't.

"I can't," I say miserably. I don't know what I feel. I don't know what to do because I am so afraid that love will turn out to be exactly what Favian taught me it was. "But I'm not someone you should be kissing, not after everything, not after all the horrible things Favian has done to me."

"I don't care." Cato says, "I don't care what he's done to you, I care about you. Favian doesn't matter." Cato is right next to me now, he brushes away my tears with his thumb.

"It doesn't bother you that Favian has kissed me and touched me--abused me? That every time we've tried this before it has destroyed our friendship?"

"No," Cato says huskily, "No, none of that matters to me. And if it matters to you, then let's make this our first kiss. Your first kiss--ever."

"My first kiss," I repeat slowly. I lean into Cato as he presses his lips to mine. My heart thuds in my chest. Cato wraps his arms around my waist and draws me closer. His lips are soft and warm. When he pulls back, I smile.

"How was it?" He jokes happily.

"Perfect." I sigh, "But I might need another one to make sure since I'm so new at--" Cato's mouth has already found mine. This time I let myself melt against him, pressing our bodies together. Cato smiles against my mouth.

I slide my hands up his back and into his hair, running my fingers through his short golden locks. Cato gives a little shudder and kisses me again, deeply. I murmur against his mouth as he slides his tongue along my lower lip. It isn't enough though. He pulls me even closer and I press his mouth open with mine. I don't want Cato to treat me like a doll, not right now, not tonight. Tonight there is only him and I. There is only us.

Cato doesn't disappoint. If anything, he seems to be having trouble keeping control of himself. He slides his tongue into my mouth, kissing me fervently. He takes one of his hands off my waist to put it on my cheek. I can't help but run my hands down his back. After a long while, we break apart. Cato brushes a butterfly of a kiss across my closed eyelids.

"I'm so glad I have you," I murmur in his ear before laying my head on his shoulder.

"My beautiful Clover," Cato sighs contentedly and rests his head comfortably on mine.

We stay on the roof together for a long time.

---------
A/N I hope you all are as happy as I am about this! Also, the dress above is the one Clove is wearing in this scene. Please comment and vote! THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL COME SOON!!!