Chapter Twenty-Three ~ To Act Accordingly

Start from the beginning

          As Polly and Michael walked round to the back of the motor so Michael could climb in, Polly looked to Lottie and said, "Could I have a quick word." It was not a question.

          "We'll look after him, Pol," said Arthur, although she did not find his words comforting in the slightest.

          Climbing out of the back, she stood beside her mother figure a couple of metres away from the motor. Polly's grey eyes were serious as they bore into Lottie's blue ones. "You look out for him, alright?" she said firmly. "Nothing's to happen to him. No business talk, keep him away from all that. Don't talk to him about any of it."

          "Well, fuck, there goes my plan on telling him about all the cuttings and murderings," said Lottie, her voice dripping in sarcasm.

          Polly suddenly gripped her arm tightly and her smile vanished quickly from her red lips. "I'm serious, Lottie," she said, almost growling. "You keep him out of it. No business talk. Don't talk to him unless absolutely necessary. Keep him at a distance from the others - and yourself. If I find out he was involved in anything-"

          "He won't," she promised, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. This was ridiculous, even for Polly. Were they supposed to spend the entire journey in complete silence? Is that what she wanted? Lottie dismissed Polly's words as her being over-protective of her son, her only child.

          Once again, she felt a pang of hurt in her chest. Polly never behaved like this to Lottie before. Perhaps Polly never saw Lottie as her own child - maybe their mother-daughter bond was all in Lottie's head. Once again, she dismissed these thoughts and put on a smile, hiding her insecurities. "I'll look after him, Pol. Don't worry."

          Polly stared into her eyes for a moment before nodding and letting go of her arm. "Alright. Off you go then."

          "Right," nodded Lottie. "See you later."

          Turning her back on her, she climbed back into the back of the motor. Arthur and Curly were still on one side, but there was just enough room for Lottie in-between Charlie and Michael as they were both thin. With Polly's words fresh in her mind, she said no words in greeting but only smiled.

          The motor jostled as it drove through the roads. Lottie became increasingly aware of the lack of room around them as they kept bumping into one another with each pothole and each corner. Thinking over Polly's words, Lottie stared directly in front of her, just above Curly's head. She couldn't help it - it was her nature, but since Polly had told her not to talk to Michael unless she had to, Lottie kept thinking up things to say to him. Thought after thought entered her head and she'd go to speak, but would then remember she wasn't allowed to and instead would put her cigarette to her red lips, leaving a stain. She felt like a child after being told off, huffing quietly to herself.

          The motor suddenly spluttered to a stop on a country lane and John pulled it to the side of the road. Lottie peered outside to see the sky grey and overcast. She was grateful for a warm coat wrapped around her shoulders.

          Tommy appeared round the back, cigarette in his mouth. "She's heating up, Curly," he said, pulling down the back of the motor so Curly could climb out. "Take a look."

          "Yeah," he nodded happily.

          "Let me out for a piss," murmured Charlie, also climbing out.

          Lottie chuckled and rolled her eyes. She looked to Arthur as she felt Michael rummaging in his bag. "You got a cigarette?"

          "Yeah," he replied, pulling out a packet.