c l i m a x // XX

“Everything in life has a price, Sandara. It’s either you pay for it…or suffer from it.”

“Shin Yong?” Dara called out to his son when she saw him drifting away from her sight slowly. Her surroundings suddenly became pitch black and foggy. A woman, whose face looks familiar to her, appeared out of nowhere taking Shin Yong by his shoulders. “Hey, miss! Hey! Where are you taking my son?”

“Pay for it…or suffer from it, Sandara.” The woman whispered then let out a smile that somehow sent shivers down her spine.

“Wh-What? What are you saying?!” Dara yelled as she ran towards her son. She increased her pace and held out her hand when she realized that her son and the woman are slowly vanishing from her sight. “Shin Yong-ah! Shin Yong!”

“Shin Yong-ah!” A loud yell from his wife suddenly woke Jiyong up from his sleep in the middle of the night. He quickly sat up and found Dara whispering their son’s name in her sleep. Jiyong quickly held her down and shake her to wake up.

“Dara…” he called out, shaking his wife gently. “Dara, wake up. Baby…”

“Shin Yong!” Dara yelled once again as she woke up from her bad dream. “Shin Yong?”

“Hey, baby…” Jiyong whispered as he leaned down and wipes the cold sweats on Dara’s forehead. “Relax, relax…I’m here.” He said then kissed her forehead.

“Ji?” Dara replied then held his hand in relief. She sat up then stared at her husband. Dara saw the worry etched on Jiyong’s face. “Oh dear god, it was just a dream.”

“Yes, baby. You were having a bad dream. You were calling out Shin Yong’s name.”

“Shin Yong! Our son…he was drifting away from me.” She told Jiyong shakily. “I don’t know. I-I’m scared Jiyong.”

“Don’t worry, nothing will happen.” Jiyong enveloped Dara in a gentle hug and softly caressed her back. It was comforting but Dara can’t help but to think about that dream. “I’m here. I’ll protect you and Shin Yong.”

--

“Yoboseoyo?” Dara greeted on the other line. An hour has passed but Shin Yong is still not home. She decided to call the school and ask if her son is still there. “I’m sorry to bother you, but is my son there?”

“Who is your son, ma’am? What time was his dismissal?”

“Kwon Shin Yong. His classes were supposed to end an hour ago. He is not home yet.”

“Oh, I see. There are no more kids from that class, ma’am. And Shin Yong was fetched by a lady.”

“A lady? Who?” Dara asked as her heartbeat starts to race.

“She said she’s your friend. She has a long brown hair.”

“Park Bom?” Dara sighed. “I guess it was my best friend. Maybe they went out to eat. Sorry for the bother miss, thank you.” Dara hanged up and exhaled again. Ever since last night, whenever she thinks about her dream about Shin Yong, Dara’s heart will race and she will feel frightened suddenly.

The moment Dara hanged up the phone, the doorbell rang surprising her. She sighed and lazily went to the door.

“Bom?” her eyes widened at the sight of her best friend standing outside the door. Alone. “Where’s Shin Yong?”

“Huh? Shin Yong?” Bom’s brows furrowed in confusion. She went to visit because she knows Shin Yong has went home an hour ago and she bought him a set of new arrival toys. “I thought he’s already here. Look, I bought him toys.”