Chapter 9: The Date

Start from the beginning

"I can relate to that, just wanting to forget. But I'm also with your father. When you told me about it this morning, I wanted to find the guy and smash his head in."

"His son is in jail serving his sentence. While my mom was angry to, she took the more legal approach. We called the police, they took our statements, and we took him to court. He got eighteen years in a Maximum security jail. He's done serving his sentence next year. But nevertheless, thanks to Dante I know how to fight."

"Your dad was taken by an illness correct? Your mom, do you still see her?"

"Dad was taken by cancer. Mom stayed with him until he passed. Mom is a bit of an adventurer, she's traveling the world. She has a home in Buffalo. But enough about me. Let's talk about you Mr. Vazquez."

"Well," He takes a deep breath. "My parents died in a car accident when I was eight. My grandmother took us in, she raised my brother and I the best that she could. She sent us to help a family friend on their ranch when we were teenagers and started causing trouble."

"I'm sorry."

"No, I mean it's ok. I miss my parents, but Gram was very loving despite all the chaos and trouble we caused. We were lucky to have her."

I look at Mark affectionately. I could picture a little old lady trying to deal with two rambunctious boys.

"Your grandmother is she still...?"

"She lives in a specialized retirement home. But she starting to lose it a little, she often confuses me and my brother for my dad when we go to visit."

"Well you are twins, whether are you like it or not."

Mark smiles at me. He knows I want him to talk about him and his brother.

"It may come as a surprise to you, but Matt and I were very close for a very long time. Everyone knew that we were bad news, but we looked out for each other. I don't hate him by any means I just don't agree with his current lifestyle choices."

"We grew up in a rough neighborhood. We had to fight for each other, together we were stronger. Even when we fought with each other we knew that we could count on the other. But things are different now and Matt never changed. He used to call us the Vazquez tornado."

"I'm sure things will work out in the end."

"You always want things to be settled around you huh?" Mark says, looking at me tenderly.

"Life hangs by a thread, one minute you're here the next you're gone. It is the same for the people we care about. I believe that we just need to make the most of each other and let the differences lie. You know, just "seize the day" anyway you can."

"Soon you're gonna be talking like a Buddhist monk or A wise old lady sitting on top of a mountain, explaining chi and kung Fu."

"Um, probably not. I would hate to shave all my hair off."

"Even with your hair shaved off you'd still be irresistible." He smiles at me.

He suddenly seems uneasy.

"So, you find me irresistible?"

"Of course, you're stunning."

We carried on for hours talking about our childhoods and laughing. I told him about the Benedetti's, they were after all my best friends. The bartender had to ask us to leave. We said good night and parted ways.

After a quick walk home. While thinking about how the Vasquez tornado was messing up my life a bit. I quickly changed to take Reno for a walk. Once outside I think back to Mark's words on his brother. Which unfortunately made me think about Matt. He hasn't answered any of my text messages and it's really starting to irritate me. He could at least give me some sign of life. After pulling out my phone and thinking on it for a minute I send Matt a message. "Hey It's Ana, remember me? We fucked once in your car and you've been ignoring my messages. It would be nice to know if you're still alive." Reno and I quickly finish our walk. Just as we get through the door and I unclipped Reno my phone beeps. Is it possible that Matt finally texted me back?

Skeptically I look at my phone. Matt has texted me, his message immediately infuriates me.

"I'm fine."

That's it! That's all he can say for himself? He has a nerve! Not even an apology for ignoring me all week.

"Why did you ignore my other messages?" I type quickly. I throw my phone on the couch, walking in my bedroom to change for bed.

My phone beeps again, I run back to it fuming. Already upset his message pushes me over the edge.

"You'd better ask Mark. He said I'm not allowed to see you again. I'm not supposed to talk to you either. That includes texting."

Really, is he telling the truth? Has Mark forbidden him to see or talk to me. I take a second to refocus. I'm taking what Matt said with a grain of salt until I can ask Mark about it tomorrow.

I remember Mark had said that they argued when he took him home after the accident. Did I have something to do with that argument? I would like to know why as soon as I have a good time with one of them the other has to come along and mess it up. Those two are impossible. Something tells me it's not new. I almost feel sorry for their grandmother. I send Mark a message. "Tomorrow we need to have a serious conversation."