Chapter 40: Claire and Her Brother

Start from the beginning

I checked the time. 6:32. I got up and went upstairs to change. I put on a different hoodie and a different pair of leggings. I rushed downstairs to find Ethan cleaning up the mess. My eyes widened as I ran over.

"I'll do it," I said, taking the paper towels from him.

He stared at me in shock. "What are you, Cinderella?"

I didn't reply. It's not like I haven't been treated like her. Being told to do everything. Being despised by my family. I was used to it, I guess.

I started cleaning up the mess until Ethan took the paper towels away from me, shaking his head. "Seriously. I'll do it."

"It's my fault, I can clean it myself," I argued. I didn't want him to clean. It happened because of me. It'll only make me feel bad if Ethan cleaned it.

"You're such an attention seeker," Jayden told me as he walked out of the door.

"Don't listen to him," Ethan said.

"Thanks," I replied, slinging my bag over my shoulders. "Bye."

I dreaded going to school. After Dad's news about them getting married, I knew Jayden wouldn't hesitate to torment me in any way. It was freezing outside. I was shivering the whole way there. I walked to my locker and put my bag away. I grabbed my binder, locked my locker, and went to History.

I sat next to Jayden, fear taking over me. Pulling out my homework and classwork, I waited for the teacher.

"Claire used to be your friend?" Jayden asked, smirking.

I stared at him. "H-how did you..."

"Owen told me. He also told me... other things," Jayden replied, a cruel smile on his lips.

Jayden cocked his head to the side. "I'm pretty sure Claire will be very upset when she hears that you spreader a rumor about her dead brother."

My eyes widened. "Jayden..."

His smile faded, his face turning cold and hard. "Today is going to be an unlucky day for you. You'll barely survive."

"Jayden, can you please not tell people?" I begged, panicking.

He rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

As the bell rang, students filled up the class. I sank in my seat, anxiety filling me. I tried focusing on my work, but I thought of Claire. It would hurt her so much if anyone mentioned her dead brother. As much as she hates me, I don't hate her.

"Jayden, I'll do anything you want. Just please-"

"You're gonna do whatever I want whether I tell Claire or not. I thought you knew that from the beginning?"

I felt close to tears. I was stressed and frustrated. I wanted to have Claire as my friend again. I missed her so much. She probably didn't miss me. She probably doesn't care. She hates me. This'll just make her hate me more. Why is Jayden so mean?

I hope she knows I would never spread a rumor like that. I liked Collin a lot. I was so upset when he took his life. I shared my deepest secrets with her. What if she tells them all to everyone?