uno

i threw down yet another magazine with shawn and another woman plastered on the cover. i rubbed my mug of hot chocolate, trying not to think about it. how could i not? my husband, the supposed love of my life, was cheating on me constantly and the whole world knew it. i knew it, they knew it, and i probably looked like the biggest idiot on the planet.

"mommy, what's that", summer pointed to the magazine with her father hand in hand with some bimbo.

"nothing", i flipped it over, "just an old book!"

"that looked like daddy", she tilted her head slightly. she was six, but smart.

"well it wasn't", i insisted, "but, guess what?" i looked down at her with a grin.

"what?" she was instantly excited.

"we're having pizza tonight", i exclaimed happily.

she jumped up and down excitedly, "oh yeah!"

i couldn't help but chuckle at how the simplest of things made her day.

"is that my summer", a voice caused me to jump as i looked to the hall to see shawn walking through, "it can't be", he pretended to be shocked.

"daddy", she shouted, running over to him, "it's me!"

"oh my gosh! it is", he yelled back as she jumped into his arms, "i missed you babes", he spun her around.

"i missed you too", she smiled, "we're having pizza for dinner!"

"sounds amazing, why don't you go pick a movie from the den so we can all watch", he instructed her as she agreed and ran off, "star", he looked up at me.

"to what do i owe the pleasure, husband", i spoke bitterly.

he rolled his eyes, hopping off his place on the wall, "i hope you're not feeding that shit to our daughter."

i let out a dry laugh, "she thinks you're a damn saint, and it's all because i hide tabloids like these", i held the magazine that stabbed my heart, "from her on a daily", i sent him a fake smile.

"really star? now", he pinched the bridge of his nose, "you stress me out so damn--"

"me? i'm not the one preparing for a crash and burn on my six year old. she's gonna realize what an ass you are one day", i stood up, retying my silk robe.

his eyes trailed over my body but i caught him before he could continue. "and yet you're still here", he opened his arms to our mansion, "you still live in this house, you still spend my money, and you still wear that ring."

i gulped, "what's your point?"

he shrugged, "no point", he hopped over and onto the couch i had just been sitting on, kicking his feet up on the coffee table, "my only question is, why?"