Chapter Seven - Let's Wash the Slate Clean

"I didn't want to lie to you all. I really didn't." I commenced, making sure to take deep breaths so that I wouldn't pass out. "However, my situation at home prevented me from sharing with you all who I really am. . . My mother had always wanted a boy. It was her dream, but, when she had me she became unable to bear anymore children. I was an unwanted child, even I knew that much as I grew up. My mother hated me because I was not a boy and the love she gave me was an illusion that she had created for herself." Ukai put his hand on my shoulder, my voice is starting to shake. "She made me act, dress and essentially be a male even though I was born female. My father, though he disagreed with the way I was being brought up, turned a blind eye, as he loved my mother. He would do anything for her and if it came down to his daughter or his wife; he would have always chosen her. However, he did not wish for the death of his own child." I rolled up my sleeves and slipped my shirt up on the right side, just up so that they could see my bandages. "Last month, I returned home from our training camp, my mother stating that I had left something important at home. Although, that was far from the truth. She had gotten angry with me, because she thought I was going against her rules and being a girl at school. She saw pictures from the cultural festival. Which is where she pulled her evidence from. . . My mother had always been violent, but I never knew she has the will to try and kill me for stepping over the line. She'd cut me up with a kitchen knife, stabbed me in the side. I was so scared, I didn't know what to do. I was lucky that my father called the police, I was taken to hospital immediately with very bad wounds." I lowered my shirt and took another breath. Everyone has been so quiet, they are listening with attentive ears. I have to finish now. I cannot give in. "I had decided in hospital, that I had to be at our match. No, I needed to be there. I had just lost everything and my need to be with everyone, took over my entire brain. I just wanted to see you all so badly. . . The rest is pretty much history. I'm ashamed of myself. That I hid away for so long. I was scared to face you all, to share this story with you. Not only am I embarrassed that I had lied but I feared that I would not be accepted in this body. In my own. I have never come to know people as closely as I have with you all and I didn't want our friendship to break apart. I didn't want to ruin, what is so precious to me." I smiled as tears ran down my face. Whether they accept me or not, is a choice of their own making, but I will stand tall no matter what happens. "My name is Hina Kenshi, Wing Spiker of the Karasuno boys Volleyball Club. Please, take care of me from now onwards." I bowed, keeping my eyes closed for the now. If I am to look at them now, I know that I would break apart. "Wahh! Niko - Kun!! I missed you so much!" I felt myself being propelled backwards and I landed flat on my back, the ginger lying on top of me with his arms wrapped around my neck. "Hinata - Kun." I sighed, hugging him back tightly. "Oi, you're going to crush her." Kageyama said pilling the boy off me and pulling me up and into his arms. "You idiot. Do you really think we care whether you're a girl or a boy?" The king asked, letting me cling to him. "You are our friend. We wouldn't ditch you over something so superficial." I hiccuped as the boy let go letting the others come in and say what they needed to. "That's right. We are your team. We'll be behind you one hundred percent of the time." Daichi told me, clapping my shoulder with his hand. "You don't have to pretend anymore." "We're just glad to see you healthy." Sugawara added, getting his hug in. "You had us worried sick." Nishinoya said, patting me on the head as Sugawara let me go. "Ha. . . Wait. . ." We all turned to look at Tanaka who is wearing a very confused looking expression. "I don't get it." I wiped at my tears and smiled. I knew there might be one confused soul. "Really Tanaka?" Asahi asked, shaking his head. "Niko is a girl. Always has been." Kageyama said, wrapping is arm around my shoulder as he usually did. "We kinda knew anyways." Hinata said, flashing me a peace sign. "Huh?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. "Yeah. The way you rubbed circles into my back." Hinata said happily, his eyes closing as if he were remembering the time I comforted him when he got sick on the bus. "And your laugh." Kageyama added. "That makes no sense." Tsukishima said, shaking his head. "So Niko. . . Is a girl?" Tanaka asked, coming over and inspecting my face. "Yup! See?" I said, pulling my hair back with my hand so that it looked shorter. "Ooohhh! Yeah! You do look like him!" "She is him Tanaka!" Nishinoya exclaimed, looking at his friend like he is the biggest idiot in the world. "Eh? Prove it." Tanaka said, giving me his scary face. "Stop that." Daichi ordered, whacking him on the head. I let my hair slide back down and nodded, pulling Kageyama along with me. "Are you sure you're ready?" Ukai asked, smiling at me. "I'll be fine Ukai - Kun." I reassured as I grabbed a volleyball from off the floor. "Kageyama, toss please." I said as I chucked the ball up high for him. I took a breath and took a quick dash to the right then turned, making that screeching sound with my shoes before sprinting to the left. I caught Kageyama smile as I dodged around him and jumped for the spike. I slammed it down with the side of my hand and the ball darted to the right, nearly hitting Yamaguchi as he was standing in the way. "Woah!! It really is Niko!" Tanaka exclaimed, ramming me into a hug as soon as I had landed. "There you go big guy." I praised, patting him on the head. Daichi made him put me down and the boys all got together, all looking at me with big smiles on their face. "Welcome to Karasuno's Volleyball Club!" They all said together. I pressed my hands together and held them up to my face, trying to hide my smile. I can't even think right now I am so happy. "Alright, alright. Now that this is out of the way, I have a proposal." Ukai said, coming over and standing at my side. I looked up at him and gave my cousin a questioning look. I wonder what he is planning?