Chapter 11

When September ends
The flower may die
And the river may dry
You may forget me
But never will i
Pritam Phukan

Black

I was beyond amazed. All the love I had been holding back came rushing out. I could never have imagined it. From where I stood at the doorstep I could see that the entire furnishings were Black. The two cushions were jet black but very shiny, she cleaned often obviously, the window blinds also Black colored but beautifully embroidered with roses, the glass center piece had Black stands also. The frames caught my attention the most, she had two of them, one was a painting of flames,green, blue, yellow and orange blended in the most delicate way, so real you could almost feel the heat burning you. My heart ached, I knew exactly what it symbolized. The other was of two ships both wrecked but the tides of water seemed to be bringing them together even when clearly, they were going separate ways. I didn't know how or what to feel.

I stepped into the house. It was exactly what I had imagined it to be after all the explanations she had given about the decor of our home. I was filled with so much emotion. It took me some minutes to finally come to my senses. I couldn't let myself get too emotional. She needed me. It then occurred to me that her door was unlocked and she didn't welcome me in either. I grew alarmed.

'' Lemon!'' I screamed.
No response. What? Where was she. I rushed to the first door I saw, which led further into the house and there she was, on the bed, sleeping like she had no worry. I took my time drinking in the sight. How I had missed her. It had been too long, way too long, longer than any man deserved. She had grown more beautiful, something I never thought was possible. If not for Samuel's call, I may never have seen her again, all because of my stupidity. To think I ever thought he was after her, now he was the one person I'd be indebted to for all my life.

I finally moved close, dreading to wake her. Her pillow had a big spot of wetness next to her cheek, had she cried herself to sleep? I couldn't help but feel it was all my fault.

I walked to the bed and sat at the edge.

" Lemon. Lemon. Wake up dear, it's Magrib, you shouldn't be sleeping." I said.

She stirred, took a few seconds to take me in then sat up abruptly when she recognized who it was. I watched her every move as if committing it to memory. Words couldn't explain how I treasured those moments.

'' Black! You came. How? Was it Sam? '' She asked surprised.

I smiled, still not finding my voice. She blushed and dropped her head, watching her fingernails. Why we were behaving silly beat me. We had known each other far longer than we had been apart.

''Let's go home.'' I said.

That was all I could muster. We could figure the rest later. Right now she needed to be safe and I couldn't guarantee it if she stayed at her place.

To my relief, she didn't say anything, only she seemed resignated. Whatever Ibrahim had done to her must have affected her a lot mentally.

Finding where she lived had been very easy thanks to Samuel. He had sent me the address once I arrived in Sokoto and kept calling to make sure I didn't lose my way. On reaching, I told the security guard that I had come to see Sajdah Umar, He had asked so many questions and I was already getting frustrated, fortunately for me Sam called then and he spoke to him, obviously the guard knew him well enough. I felt a pang of jealousy, I could only imagine how much he knew about Lemon that I didn't. I thanked the guard, asked for which apartment was hers and almost ran off.

''Can I ask something? '' she asked. Bringing me back from whatever world I had been. I hadn't even realized I was still staring at her. I shook my head. What was wrong with me?

'' Please do.'' I said. At least one of us needed to say something.

''Why did you come?'' she asked. I felt hurt. Did she really think I'd hear she was in trouble and would not come running? What had the years done to us.

'' I should be asking you why I wouldn't. Did you really think I would receive a call about you being in distress and ignore it? I thought you knew me better. Dad would never even forgive me. We are family, and you know that.'' I said.

Dad or not, I would never have forgiven myself.

Lemon

He didn't come because he still loved me? Was I already too late. I felt the tears threaten again. When did I become such a crier? I still wasn't able to look him in the face.

''Let me quickly freshen up, can we leave today?'' I asked.

'' Look up Lemon, look at me. I want to see your face.'' He said.

I felt a chill run down my spine then I did as I was told. He smiled with so much satisfaction. He was still as handsome as ever, maybe a little more. There was so much more detail in his profile. He even grew a beard. I took his features in, trying to remember exactly why I stopped taking his calls. Noticing his smile was broadening, I quickly dropped my gaze. What was wrong with me? This was just Black so why was I behaving weird?

'' I have our tickets ready. You're not staying one more night here. I had been planning on convincing you, I wasn't going to take no for an answer but I like this better.'' He said, still holding that smile which was obviously doing things to me.

I simply nodded, then stood there. I didn't even know what else to say. I finally remembered I was supposed to go take a bath. I quickly turned, rushed for the bathroom , and practically ran into the door. What had gotten into me? I shouldn't have looked back but curiosity overruled common sense and when I did, he had the most ridiculous look on his face. It was one I remembered very well, he made it when he was he was holding back his laughter and he always looked so cute with it. His eyes were already going red. I glared at him and he quickly walked out of the room. Once he closed the door, he burst out laughing. I laughed also, shaking my head while at it. I felt so much better. Black was here, everything was going to be fine now, I was safe, he would never let Ibrahim harm me.

*******
So I know you all want to have my neck right now but don't worry, I'll make up for it in chapter 12😇😇😇

Black (Lemon) would leave a warm feeling in your hearts when the story ends. Well, no story truly ever ends.

Please vote, comment and share. Thanks for the love.