Chapter 12

Hayden's P.O.V

The metal was cold. Uncomfortably cold.

As I descended down the ladders from the control room I was constantly put off by how cold the rungs were. I had no choice but to grip them anyway to climb down, but that didn't make it any easier to tolerate. While I was resistant to extreme temperatures, it didn't mean I didn't feel them; it just meant I wasn't physically damaged by them. I could still be agitated by cold. Especially by cold.

To think I had to get up from the highest point to the lowest to shoot us up into space; it's a hassle. At least in space there's no gravity so I can just float around.

It seemed strange to me that a rocket buzzing with magical energy and sitting in the middle of the desert was cold on the inside. Metal was meant to conduct heat, not insulate.

Oh wait, but there's air. Air insulates, idiot.

Recalling that fun fact from science class, I somehow calmed once things made a bit more sense. You'd think for someone who can manipulate fire and heat, I would know these things. But nope, I'm still an idiot. Having an ability does not mean you automatically know how to use it.

I climbed down another ladder, running into another hatch. I jumped down to the floor and bent to open the hatch. I suddenly noticed how narrow these halls were, considering my back was against the wall. If it weren't so cramped in these hallways, I'd be able to fly down gently. But considering my flight is with fire, I couldn't risk ruining anything that might be important.

I went down that hatch another ladder. Once I reached the bottom I encountered a door I had not seen before. There were no hatches on the floor, just the door. On the door, etched in the metal, was the curving blazing Fire symbol.
It was the door to the launch room; I'd never seen it before. The first time I was shown this room the door was wide open and I didn't get to see that symbol.

Leo sure does love marking things. I found myself thinking, and I chuckled.

I opened the door, and re-encountered the room as I had remembered it.

The launch hole, or fire hole, was huge. And when I say huge, I'm probably exaggerating. But it dominated a large portion of the room, leaving only a small circumference of floor space. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it was like a well, with a sturdy metal wall built all around it to stop anyone from falling in.
Only it wasn't a well, and there wasn't water inside to be taken out; there was fire outside intended to be thrown in.

I don't remember the entire explanation on how exactly my fire managed to move an entire rocket, but I think there was something about magic. Seems to me that whatever happens in this ship, it always somehow comes down to magic.

Okay, so what do I need to do now?

I made a quick list in my head, recalling the tutorial I'd been given the last time.

"Hayden?"

I heard my name and instantly snapped to attention. I remembered what I had to do; almost without thinking I went over to the pipe on the wall, bending over slightly to speak into it. "Yes?"

"Are there any new modifications down in the launch room? Anything you may need time to figure out?" Misty asked over the pipeline.

I looked around quickly with minimal effort, not noticing anything different. "Nope, everything's the same."

"And is everything else functional? Are your oxygen tanks full?" Good question.

I walked over to the right of the room. This room had three extra oxygen tanks, other than the standard ones for general breathing. Upon inspection I saw the needle was all the way at the highest end on two of the gauges, and about three-quarters all the way of the third's.