CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"The idea of justice is a dangerous one because there are no rules. All there is-- is turmoil. Never do anything in the name of justice."

- Tywin

The shutters that covered the window panes need to be replaced, was Joanna's first thought that morning. The old cracked wood was not doing its job and the light was piercing her eyes. The beams attacked her violently even when she shut her eyes and turned over.

It must be noon, she thought. It was never usually light out when Joanna awoke. The North was a cold and dark place, and she knew she would detest winter if she was still in Winterfell then.

There was a soft knock on her door. Joanna jumped out from under the warm quilts and furs, and quickly grabbed an undergown from the floor and pulled it over her head. When she opened the door, a cool breeze wafted in and it brought goosebumps to her skin. Joanna glanced at Robb's face in front of her, then after a moment, his eyes met hers, while a blush found its way to his cheeks. She had to resist the urge to cross her arms over her breasts, Cersei would not do that.

"Brandon is going to try his new saddle, I was wondering if you'd like to watch him with me?" Robb asked thickly. Joanna desperately wanted to say no to his offer. She didn't want to see any of the Starks today since they took the one innocent Lannister sibling hostage.

"I'd love to." She lied with a false smile. Joanna was aware of Robb staring again and she cleared her throat. "I should get dressed."

"Tighter," Joanna hissed unmenacingly at her handmaiden.

"M'lady?" The girl asked, unsure.

"I need to look my best."

"Yes, m'lady," Anya said tightening the bodice around Joanna's torso. Joanna was determined to distract Robb Stark, perhaps even convince him that they should get married and forget about the oncoming war. But she knew it would not happen. The Starks were strong willed, thick headed, family oriented, and prideful of all of those things. She could at least try to soften the blows when they would start to come.

"Does this smile look inticing?" Joanna looked at her handmaiden in the mirror.

"Inticing?" Anya asked, while she grabbed the straps violently. Joanna was beginning to wonder if Anya had ever laced up a lady's corset.

"Attractive," she clarified.

"No.," said Anya. Joanna's suspicion of Anya being a wilding were starting to solidify with Anya's constant lack of proper manners.

"Like this," suggested Anya. Joanna looked up to see Anya smiling, prettily, her brown eyes dancing with eyelashes fluttering and lips pursed. Joanna tried to imitate the look but assumed it was a failure when Anya laughed.

Before she could try again, Robb knocked on the door. Joanna glanced at Anya's handiwork of her lacings in the mirror. They were a mess.

"One moment!" Joanna called to Robb, who hummed on the other side of the door. "This is a mess," she told Anya. "Watch me do it." Joanna quickly undid the messy laces and began to tie them behind her own back, an admirable talent.

More than a moment later, Joanna was openning the heavy door, letting herself and Anya out. Robb took Joanna's hand in his. His soft palms didn't seem right in her hands, not anymore. Not since Catelyn took Tyrion hostage. Joanna doubted anything would feel right with Robb anymore.