CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"The truth  can be the best and the worst thing to know." 

-Tyrion. 

After leaving the dinner hall, Joanna returned to her room to think for an hour. It was clear that Jamie knew something about Brandon Stark's fall, and by the way Cersei was acting, she also had her hand in it. If the boy woke up and remembered whatever it was that he saw, it was clear Joanna would be in trouble, so she must prepare.

It seemed impossible to find Jaime in the crowd, however, the moment she caught sight of his blonde head and the swagger in his stance, she rushed forward.  As she got closer, Joanna saw that Jaime was talking to Jon Snow, no doubt trying to intimidate him.

"Is this man bothering you?' Joanna spoke to Jon Snow, who did not seem pleased to be caught in a conversation with Jaime, who did not seem uncomfortable whatsoever, unlike he had been at breakfast.

"I was just thanking him for protecting the realm from the perils beyond the Wall," Jaime explained before Jon could speak. "Wildlings and White Walkers and whatnot," a blonde eyebrow shot up on Jaime's face out of amusement. Jon seemed to understand that he was being mocked, but it was obvious that he had never been mocked by someone like Jaime as the boy tried to defend himself.

"I would like to speak with you." Joanna was done with this conversation and pulled on Jaime's sleeve. Jaime barely gave his little sister a glance as he watched Jon Snow try to think of a response.

"We have guarded the kingdoms for eight thousand years." The boy's voice was solid, Joanna had to respect that. From what Joanna had heard about Eddard Stark throughout her life, it seemed to her that, from her limited conversations with Jon, he possessed more of his father's characteristics than Robb did.

"Is it 'we' already?" Jaime asked as Joanna tugged on his sleeve some more. "Have you taken your vows, then?" Jon was glaring at the siblings but Joanna tried to offer a smile.

"Soon enough," Jon Snow spat in the nicest way possible.

"Give my regards to the Night's Watch." Joanna hoped that would be the last of the conversation, but of course, Jaime needed the last word. "I'm sure it will be thrilling to serve in such an elite force. And if not?" he paused dramatically, "It's only for life."

"Farewell, Jon Snow," Joanna bid the bastard boy in front of her, before chasing after her older brother who had made a brisk exit after his final words. "Jaime," the girl reached at her brother's sleeve again and pulled him into the entrance of the nearest building, looking around quickly to make sure no one was around to see them or hear them talking.

"You're going to miss me so much you had to chase me down?" he asked. Of course, Joanna was going to miss him, he was her big brother. Sure Tyrion was her big brother too, but the Imp and the bastard had a different relationship. Jaime was Joanna's protector, the one who had come to her defence when Cersei had screamed horrible things at her, the one who had trained her with a sword after her horrible accident in the streets of Kingslanding, and the one that had held her the moment she was born. But as much as she loved Jaime, Joanna knew that he could be an idiot. "Well?" Joanna ignored the sudden realization that she was going to be without Jaime for a year and grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him down to her height, which wasn't much shorter, so she could whisper in his ear.

"What did you do to Brandon Stark?" She hissed and Jaime stiffened.

"He saw something he shouldn't have," Jaime defended himself without giving an explanation.

"My betrothal could be at stake!" Joanna tried to sound confident but it came out like a whine.

"We could all be at stake!" her older brother said in return. Joanna mulled over the information she already knew for a moment. She added up all the loose ends in her mind until she created one long mangled knot of an answer. Joanna did not like her conclusion, not only was it dangerous, but also repulsive, as the girl could remember the time she made the same mistake as Brandon Stark and saw things she shouldn't have seen happening between the twins.