CHAPTER SEVEN

"Never forget to think: 'What would a Lannister do? And 'what would a lady do?' Remember to ask yourself those questions in every situation, because you are not naturally either of those things, therefore the thoughts won't come naturally."

- Cersei

The news reached Joanna while she was sewing. Her hand was still in place holding the needle after hearing what had happened, she was frozen, even when Sansa had dropped her entire creation and it nearly caught on fire. In seconds, Arya was to her feet and dashing out the door. For the past few hours, Arya Stark had been trying to find ways to escape the sewing room, she had even succeeded twice, slipping out the door like a mouse. However, this time, Arya didn't care what she knocked over in the process. She was less like a mouse, and more like a hunted boar, running wildly with no knowledge of her surroundings. Sansa wasn't quite on the same level, she was more graceful, as she was in every single situation compared to Arya. Part of Joanna even bet that when using her chamberpot Sansa had elegance and grace.

The news, followed by the two sisters dashing out of the room, had left Joanna on edge. She had to recover quickly, as the garment Sansa was making for Cersei had landed too close to the fireplace for Joanna's liking, so the young lady snatched up the material and inspected it for burns, to which she found none. So, she shook the dress in the making, trying to free it of soot and ashes. Joanna took that time to think.

First, Joanna was herself, so she worried about the poor Brandon Stark and if he would survive. Next, she was a Lannister. How could she use Brandon's fall to help herself? Joanna shook her head, now was not quite the time to think like her father or her sister. Joanna knew she had to be a lady. But she wasn't quite sure about how to be a lady in the situation. Was she supposed to walk up to Catelyn Stark, curtsy and tell her that all of Joanna's prayers are for Brandon? Sew him his funeral clothes? Joanna had no clue. All of the ladies Joanna had been surrounded by had not prepared her for this. What was she supposed to say to Robb? The boy was away on a hunt with the rest of the men. Word would reach them soon and they would be back before nightfall tomorrow. 'Should we pair your brother's funeral with a wedding? Get two events done at once?'

"Joanna?" She heard Myrcella call from behind her. "The pins are starting to fall out of Sansa's dress. I think you should stop shaking it." The young princess was right. The dress Sansa had been making for Cersei was starting to fall apart in Joanna's hands. So the young Lannister but the material down on the seat Sansa had been sitting on before running off and took a deep breath, looking around the room. It had pretty much emptied, all of the northerners had dispersed, probably worried about the Starks. When Joanna peeked out the window, she saw the sun was to set soon, which explained where some of the Southern ladies had gone.

"I'm sure dinner is being served," Joanna said, looking at Myrcella who what still sitting in the same spot, still sewing. Behind the princess sat the girl's handmaidens and a few other maids, the few that often tend to Joanna. "Let's go eat," the Lannister decided.

"What about Bran?" Myrcella asked.

"We don't want to be in Stark's way, and if the words are correct, he's in the gods' hands now," Joanna spoke softly. In truth, she was still confused about what she was supposed to do, so she imagined it was one of her own that had fallen, and knew that space is what Joanna would have wanted. However, the princess still didn't seem ready to move on. "Besides, if we wait any longer, dinner might get cold." That was enough for Myrcella who climbed onto her legs and left with her maids. Joanna took one look around the sewing room, where she had been chatting with the Stark girls just a short time ago. Something inside Joanna stirred like it had when Jon Arryn had died.

The bells had rung in the night. They were long sad bells. But like everything in Kingslanding, the emotions that the bells portrayed were fake. Joanna's eyes were open after the second sounding. The first time they rung, the young lady had slept through it, but the second felt like it was right outside her room. It wasn't, of course. The bells were above the sept, far away from her apartment. But their sad sounds felt like they were calling to her, telling her something.

Like anyone would, Joanna left her bed, slipped on a cloak over her nightgown and made her way through the building. As the young lady exited the building and stepped onto the cold ground, she became aware that she wasn't the only one awake. The whole Red Keep seemed to be milling about in the courtyard, trying to figure out what had happened.

Next to Joanna was a highborn girl around her age that she recognized as one of Cerise's ladies in waiting. It was strange that the girl hadn't been anywhere near the queen in the night, instead, she was just about as a far away from the queen as Joanna's room was from the bells.

"Maebell," Joanna hoped that was the girl's name. Luckily, the handmaiden turned.

"Do I know you?" The girl asked pompously while the bell sounded again.

"I'm Joanna Lannister," she said. Maebell nodded, then realization dawned on her.

"You're the Shrew?" Joanna wanted to argue that she was more than some unmarriable lady, but another long dong from the bell urged her against it.

"What's happened?"

"Lord Baelish said it's Jon Arryn," Maebell replied.

"Lord Baelish?" Had this highborn maid just been with Petyr Bealish? And why would she tell me? She must be daft, Joanna thought.

"Please don't tell Cersei." Perhaps the girl wasn't as stupid as Joanna thought. At least she knows that Cersei doesn't like whores.

"Of course," Joanna said sweetly, however her next words would contradict. "As long as you tell me exactly what happened." Maebelle nodded as the bell sounded again.

"Lord Baelish said a fever took him."

"But he wasn't sick a few hours ago," Joanna argued. After dinner, Joanna had met Lord Arryn in his solar where he informed her of the news from the possible Stark betrothal. "He seemed just fine."

"It must've worked quick then," Maebelle said. "Either way, I should go to Cersei." She slipped into the crowds without another word, weaving through the bodies in the courtyard. Joanna nodded as if she was beginning to accept the situation.

She found her way out of the crowds and to her building. Her room was situated above the old kitchens, which hadn't been used since Robert won the war. Everything was still intact on the first level. Somedays, it seemed like it was waiting to be used again. It waited patiently, not an oven had been touched since the last time it was in use, but it had taken no wear over the last sixteen years. Above the kitchens were multiple lavish rooms. Furthest from the stairs was Joanna's. She was the only one that had an official room. When Tyrion came to visit, which was not often, he would take up a room down the hall, but other than Joanna, there were no other permanent residents.

When she got back to her room, Joanna did not go to bed right away. Instead, she walked over the large window that overlooked the city. As she glanced at Kingslanding below, she couldn't help but feel a stirring inside of her, one that she couldn't quite place. It was dread, swirling around with hope. It swirled around, filling her completely. She felt as if this night was the beginning of the end.

Joanna felt the same way as she looked at the courts of Winterfell. The men had returned from their hunting trip, empty-handed. The night air was full of tension and anxiety. Robert rode in first, with Eddard Stark close behind. His grim face seemed even more miserable than before. Jon Arryn's death was the beginning of the end and Brandon Stark's fall was the next step, Joanna decided. The young Lannister stepped away from the men coming into the castle and into the stairwell of the Guest House, hidden, but not blind to the commotion outside.

A/N 

WOOW 

WE GOT A FLASHBACK 

OW OWWWW!

HAVE A LOVELY DAY, AND REMEMBER THAT EVEN WHEN THINGS ARE AT THEIR DARKEST, THERE ARE ALWAYS Puppies 

soft little puppies