CHAPTER THREE

"To win the support of the people, you must start small and build. People talk, especially commoners. Make sure what they are talking about is good." 

- Tyrion

As the carriage began to empty, nervousness rose once again, but Joanna swallowed it, while she watched the colourfully dressed handmaidens leave. Myrcella exited the carriage, her dainty pale hand latched onto her little brother's as they made their way down the steps, leaving Joanna and Cersei alone. 

"Do not be yourself, and you will not fail," Cersei told her. Joanna allowed a nervous laugh to escape her, but soon regained her strength and nodded. I never get to be myself, she thought, however, I don't really know who I am.  Shaking her head, the girl lifted up her red dress and left the carriage that had become her uncomfortable home for the past month. Joanna's eyes did not leave her leather boots as she stepped down the stairs to make sure she didn't trip. She walked next to Myrcella. 

Finally, the young blonde woman lifted her head and surveyed her surroundings. She was conscious of her facial expression, as she had adopted a Lannister's tendency to appear in constant distaste. Her eyes roamed, taking in every face until she reached the Starks. Joanna was about to go through them, starting off with the young boy that must be Rickon, when she felt someone tug on her hand. Myrcella's hand went to Joanna's, as Tommen's hand had gone to Myrcella's earlier. Joanna accepted the gesture, and gave the younger girl's hand a strong and reassuring squeeze, as Joanna could see the princess was practically shaking with nerves. 

"It's alright, little one," Joanna whispered to Myrcella. Joanna knew no one was paying attention to the royal children and their aunt. The whole court's eyes were either trained on their king as he met the Stark children, or captured by the smooth walking queen, who glided across the yard, to stand next to her husband. 

"I wish we were back home," Tommen whispered. 

"It's not fair that we had to come up North too," Myrcella chimed in. "It's still summer and I'm practically freezing," she whined. Behind the three of them, a guard shushed them. The royal children turned red, not used to being disciplined. Quietly and quickly, Joanna shed the fur that had been draped over her shoulders and slung it over Myrcella, who took it without thanks.

Joanna had not been paying attention to the important scene in front of her, and the first thing she saw was Robert Baratheon walking away from the group, with Eddard Stark following close behind. It seemed to be awkward, as Cersei stood there for a moment, obviously in light shock, not much different from the rest of the crowd. 

"Where is our brother," Joanna heard Cersei ask, shortly after the queen had spun on her heels and strutted to her twin. "Go and find the little beast," she spat with a look of disdain on her face and venom in her eyes. Joanna knew that her anger was not completely aimed at Tyrion. Although the older woman had a deep running hatred for her younger brother, and nearly a throb in her temple when he was around, the embarrassment that King Robert constantly caused Cersei was enough to make any negative emotion multiply in the Queen. 

The crowd collapsed all at once, after the awkwardness in the court and the people returned to going about their busy day. The hustle reminded Joanna faintly of the bazaars in Lannisport, and practically anywhere in Kingslanding. Joanna held onto Myrcella and Tommen for a moment, hoping not to lose them in the ruckus of skirts, carts, and bellowing men.

The carriage that Joanna had been her home began to move from behind them. Joanna was going to miss the sturdy little box even if the ladies she had travelled with were annoying.  Far to Joanna's right, she could see Cersei and Jaime still chatting fervently. In front of the young woman, through all of the dust and people, she saw the boy who must be Robb Stark. He was handsome, strong looking, and young. Please, Joanna prayed to the gods, allow him to gain affection for me, I cannot become a silent sister, no matter how kind they are. 

Joanna continued to watch the young man. He chatted with the two boys behind him, who could not have been much different in age. One with light brown hair and an angular face nodded in Joanna's direction, and soon all three pairs of eyes turned to her, and she offered them a smile. It was not the toothy grin she had tried in the carriage, but the smooth seductive smirk Cersei had taught her. Please work.

The staring didn't last long. A man called the boys to work, while Myrcella and Tommen's caretakers ushered them away. Soon, there were northerners rushing to help Joanna and the ladies in waiting to their rooms to which Joanna kindly accepted. 

Joanna followed the old northerner in front of her absentmindedly. Joanna's eyes were trained on her feet as they walked through the court. She did not wish to fall. With so many eyes watching, Tywin was sure to find out. Although he was thousands of leagues away, Joanna did not want to disappoint her father or give her cousins any more reasons to snicker at the Golden Shrew, or Golden Bastard if they chose to whisper that name. 

"Are you alright, m'lady?" The woman in front of Joanna asked as they were stopped by a train of maids and men holding crates and chests heading to what Joanna assumed was the guest house. The Northerner's question made Joanna look up from her slippers, however, she felt dismayed when the older woman could not meet her eyes. The young woman knew what she was doing, avoiding looking into Joanna's piercing look. With a sigh, Joanna became conscious of the tension in her face and unscrewed it, the way she had in the carriage. 

"Truth be told, I'm a bit overwhelmed," Joanna admitted, sheepishly looking down at her toes. "How are you?" She asked, looking up at the woman, who's dull brown eyes sparkled with wonder. 

"I'm doing just fine, m'lady." The woman replied, surprised. "But I can understand how a lady like yourself would be overwhelmed," she smiled before turning into the building the maids and men had just left. "You will be staying here," the woman called to the ladies in waiting as they entered the plain stone building. "You three ladies will be staying on the first two rooms to the right," she told the ladies. Joanna held back a smirk at their displeasure of being on the first floor. "Your things should be in the rooms already." 

The climb up the stairs was short. Joanna was feeling less anxious now that they were out of the courtyard and away from the eyes. The young Lannister relied solely on her hands bunching up the red fabric to unsure that she wouldn't tumble down the wooden steps. Soon, they arrived at the guest's door.

"How are you so calm?" Joanna asked the woman. 

"It comes with age," the woman smiled a toothy grin. 

"You don't seem too old" Joanna complimented her, however, the older woman did not seem impressed.

"By your southern standards I'm not," the woman stepped closer to Joanna, who faltered lightly but stood her ground like a lioness. "But winters here hardens you, storms and such."

"And how do you keep calm during the storms?" Joanna asked.

"A great horn of ale," she stated with a hard stare, analyzing the lady in front of her, who cracked a grin.

"Where might I find such a horn of ale?" Joanna asked, leaning against the hard wood of her door. The northerner was obviously taken aback but soon shook her head with respect. There was a clattering downstairs, followed by barking voices.

"Jeyne!" A man called at the bottom of the stairs, the older woman turned to respond to the man.

"In a moment!" She shouted, then turned back to Joanna. "I know the man in charge of the wine cellar, he can get a pitcher of wine in your room every night that you are here."

"Thank you," Joanna called to the woman as she made her way down the stairs.

Little by little, the north will be mine.