CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"There's nothing as freeing as swinging a sword."

- Jaime

Silverware clattering was all that could be heard at dinner. In the past few weeks, there had been at least chatter at the dinner table. But not tonight.  Ever since Bran had woken up, the dark veil had lifted, slightly, but this evening brought only silence to Joanna as she cut through her mince and potatoes.

Her green eyes studied every face, as she tried to unravel their secrets. From the way the others at the table kept glancing at her anxiously, Joanna guessed that her family had done something. Immediately after coming to that conclusion, she slipped her dinner knife that she had been using to cut her meat, to her side so it was ready to be picked up and swiped at any time. But the time never came. Instead of making a move, the three Stark boys, the maester, and the Theon picked at their food. None of them really ate except for Rickon, who was playing with his potatoes as Tommen would.

Dinner ended as it started, in silence. Maids picked up the somewhat empty plates and took them back to the kitchen. Maester Luwin took Rickon to bed, with Hodor following behind carrying Bran. Fear began to grow in Joanna,  her stomach, upset like a tree growing twisting its roots. Luckily, Joanna managed to escape from Robb and Theon. She got up from the table and walked into the kitchens, hoping that perhaps some of the coinage she had given the maids and cooks would payoff.

"Milly," Joanna greeted the large woman. Milly was tall and fat with plain brown eyes and dark hair. She was also the main kitchenwench for Winterfell, meaning that she heard all of the gossip.

"M'lady." She greeted Joanna with an awkward bow. The kitchens were hot, however not very loud, so Joanna spoke in a quiet voice.

"Do you have a moment?" She inquired, and the large woman nodded, her chin multiplying. "Why was everyone so quiet at dinner?" There was a moment of silence where Milly looked around, to see if any of the other few members of the kitchen staff were paying attention, they were not.

"It's your brother..." she began. The roots of the tree knotted with each other in Joanna's abdomen.

"Which one?" Joanna rushed, leaning in further.

"The Imp," Milly said immediately, then realized her mistake from Joanna's sour expression. "Lord Tyrion, I mean." She corrected herself. Branches of the tree grew into Joanna's chest and it became hard to breath. "Catelyn Stark took him hostage."

"Why?" Joanna's lips pursed, her fists clenched at her sides and she was sure her knuckles were turning white.

"They think it was him who sent the assassin after Bran."

"Oh," was all Joanna said. "Thank you," she mumbled. Joanna could not stand to hear any more information, at least not tonight. Leaves of guilt fell from the tree of fear as Joanna exited the kitchens and stepped into the courtyard.

She stumbled numbly to her chambers, aware that she must look drunk, but she didn't care. Joanna was worried about her brother. Ferocity ran in the wolves' blood, whereas viciousness ran in the lions'. Viciousness could not save Tyrion from this predicament, while ferocity only strengthened Catelyn. Joanna thought about her chances of seeing her brother again as she climbed up the steps and turned down the hallway. With a sigh, Joanna opened the door to her room, shutting it behind herself and leaned against its hardwood shaking her head as she practically saw the future.

If Catelyn has Tyrion killed, Father will have to go to war. If Father calls his banners, Robb will have to call his own. Not only will Tyrion be dead, so would I. Joanna moved away from the door and started to take off her dress. She could ask Anya for help, but she wanted to undress on her own. This proved to be quite a challenge as she tried to unlace the red dress,  it ripped slightly. Joanna cursed at the fabric, while her mind took over again. Cersei would find a way to have Eddard Stark imprisoned for his wife's actions. Then Robert would have to die, Cersei would construct that too. That means Joffrey would be king. Joanna groaned at the idea of Joffrey being king. But that groan soon turned into a scream as she began to rip the fabric, till it came off. All Seven Kingdoms would fall into Hell, Joanna thought. This time, when Joanna screamed it wasn't out of frustration of her dress, it was anger with her life. She wanted to go back home, or at least to Kingslanding. She wished she never had her fourteenth name day, that she still was learning how to be a good lady from Cersei, reading books in the Kingslanding library with Jon Arryn, and especially she missed sword fighting with Jaime. It was always a great way to deal with her anger.