CHAPTER FIVE

"Never disrespect those who are higher than you. If done right, looks should be enough to put them in their place."

- Tyrion.

"Must you flirt with every woman you lay your eyes on?" Robb Stark joked as he planted himself in his seat, eyes immediately absorbing Joanna's face.

"Only the pretty ones," Theon said smoothly, smirking at Joanna. It seemed painful for Robb as he had to tear his gaze away from Joanna to glare lightly at him before he heard the girl chuckle. The auburn haired boy smiled at the blonde, looking at her again. 

As the night wore on, Joanna noticed many things. Some she liked and some she didn't. She grinned when she saw how much the northerners drank, to which led her grin to turn mischevious as she envisioned the nights to come, drinking away her anxieties with Tyrion. Joanna also liked the most of the Starks. Early on in the evening. Joanna had introduced herself to Catelyn, who had maintained a tight smile all throughout the conversation.

Joanna had taken a sip of her wine, trying to push back the fear of meeting Catelyn, whom she hoped would be impressed by her. After excusing herself, Joanna had stalked up to the table where the woman sat alongside Cersei.

"Good evening Lady Stark," Joanna smiled sweetly, a trick that Cersei had taught her when she came to the High Table. "Sister," she addressed Cersei, who was watching her with careful eyes. "You look magnificent as always." A woman will be more keen to trust another one when she sees her being kind. Cersei had not taught Joanna this trick, as making friends was not Cersei's greatest skill or focus.

"As do you, darling," the older blonde smiled out of duty, but her eyes stayed watchful.

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Catelyn spoke. Her voice was strained from trying to pick apart every inch of Joanna's image, while also focusing on her own look and how she presented.

"The pleasure is all mine, my Lady," The young Lannister was always fearful of sounding desperate. With most of the women Joanna had met, they seemed to enjoy being lathered in compliments, however, the Tullys, Catelyn's original family, is a proud house, not one to succumb to flattery, same with the Starks. "My apologies for not coming North a moon ago, as we had planned."

"It is no problem, Joanna," Catelyn spoke. "The passing of Jon Arryn was tragic, yet ill-timed." The younger woman nodded, solemnly thinking of the man who had orchestrated the possible betrothal. He had written to Eddard and Catelyn when Joanna had returned to Kingslanding once again without a betrothal. The Starks had not quite agreed to marry Robb to her but to give the girl a chance to come to Winterfell and prove that she is not as unmarriable as the rumours seem to make her. Of course, the Starks hadn't mentioned the rumours of the 'Golden Shrew', but it was implied. "How are you finding the North?" Catelyn asked. Joanna could tell that the woman truly wanted to know.

"I am enjoying it," Joanna said. Catelyn Stark gave her a look telling her to continue. "The landscapes are shockingly different, however, it is much more pleasant to look at than the bustling of King's Landing. I have not yet spoken to many northerners, but they all seem kind." Catelyn Stark seemed to ponder what Joanna said for a moment. "I look forward to spending time here," the young Lannister said quickly.

"I look forward to getting to know you," Catelyn said finally. There was an awkward silence which was interrupted by Sansa.

"Hello, little dove," Cersei said to the young Stark. "But you are a beauty." She continued. Joanna watched as Sansa beamed at the Queen's compliments. "How old are you?" Joanna offered Catelyn a smile, which the lady tried to return. Quickly, the young Lannister stepped away from the High Table, with a peek back at Sansa. The girl was already enamoured with Joffrey, Joanna had seen it early on in the feast, as the redhead was unable to keep her eyes off of the Prince. Joanna pitied the child's naïvety.