Chapter Twenty-Four

Sky's tearoom was a flurry of chaos.

"Don't forget to feed Ceylon twice a day," she said.

"Yes, I know," Hazel replied with exasperation as she shoved Sky toward the door. "You've told me that at least five times in the past hour."

"But she gets hungry. And she's very picky about what she eats."

"I've looked after your familiar before. She'll be fine."

"Oh, but I forgot the tea," Sky said.

She twisted away from Hazel and skirted toward the kitchen. Bryony jogged to catch up and grabbed her elbow.

"I packed it in your suitcase this morning," she said. "Three different blends."

"Maybe I should get some more," Sky hedged.

"No," Bryony replied with a laugh, dragging Sky out the door. "It's your honeymoon. Buy some tea if you run out. Be extravagant. Enjoy yourself."

Aiden was waiting on the cobblestone road, leaves whirling around his feet, dancing away on the wind. He had Sky's cherry wood broom in one hand and his own dark broom in his other hand, suitcases tied onto each one.

"Are you ready to go this time, love?" he said.

Sky touched a hand to her forehead. "I feel like I'm forgetting something."

"We can pick up a replacement for anything you need along the way."

Sky fidgeted and reluctantly made her way down the sidewalk to Aiden's side. She took her broom but cast another glance back at the house. Bryony and Hazel stood on the porch, arms locked, partly to ward off the frigid November morning, but mostly to form a blockade to prevent Sky from drifting back into the house for just one more thing.

"I've never been out of Wildemoor before," Sky said quietly.

Aiden leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"We'll be back before you know it," he said. "I promise."

He took her hand, supporting her for balance as she climbed onto her broom.

"Stay out of trouble while I'm gone!" Sky said.

"That's no fun," Bryony countered.

"I mean it. Don't elope with Sean. I want to be there for your wedding."

Bryony made a face. "He hasn't even proposed."

"Well, he should." Sky's gaze shifted to Hazel. "The same goes for you and Nick."

"We're not eloping," Hazel said firmly. "Don't worry about that."

Sky gave a small humph as if she wasn't quite convinced. Bryony made a shooing motion.

"Go! Enjoy Paris! Eat lots of fresh bread and pastries and take disgustingly romantic pictures with Aiden to show us when you get back."

Sky broke into a grin at that.

"I'll be back in two weeks!"

Then she sailed into the air, Aiden at her side. Ribbons of black, orange, and purple streamers flowed out behind them, with a bewitched sign in glowing letters over their heads that read, JUST MARRIED.

Hazel and Bryony waved and waved until Sky vanished from sight. Bryony sighed and let her arm drop.

"Do you think I should have told her that I already got into trouble?" she said.

Hazel's gaze dropped to where Bryony's hand rested on her stomach. For a split second, Hazel didn't understand what Bryony meant. Then it dawned on her. She grabbed Bryony's arm.

"Are you serious?" she said. "You're sure?"

Bryony laughed and nodded. "I can feel the magic. But if I told Sky before her honeymoon, she'd never leave my side." She paused with a sly grin. "Double double, toil and trouble."

Hazel hiccuped with delight. "Twins! I get to be an aunt!"

She crushed Bryony in a hug. She pulled back, cupping Bryony's face in her hands. Bryony's smile faded.

"Why are you crying?" she said. "I thought you'd be happy about this."

Hazel waved her off. "I am."

"Hazel, I'm the one with the pregnant hormones, not you. What's going on?"

Hazel pressed a hand to her chest.

"We've all grown up," she said, her voice cracking.

Bryony swore and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Hell's bells," she grumbled. "Now you got my waterworks going."

"Sorry," Hazel said with a watery laugh as she hugged Bryony again and held on for a long, long time.

Finally, Bryony pulled away, using the hem of her t-shirt to dry her face.

"I should get going," she said. "Seline wanted to make dinner for Sean and me. That could only mean certain disaster. She better not blow up my kitchen."

Hazel nodded. "Be careful getting home."

"I will," Bryony said as she retrieved her broom from the porch rack and launched into the misty evening sky.

Hazel took in a deep breath of the autumn breeze—sharp and cold and damp. The lingering woodsmoke and candy scent of Samhain still hung in the air.

Hazel tucked her ruby red scarf a little tighter around her neck and picked up her broom from the rack. She had to get home, too. She promised to make some good old-fashioned pumpkin pie with Nick and Phoebe for dessert.