Chapter Twenty-Three

Hazel could hardly breathe.

"What?" she rasped.

"We haven't known each other long, I realize that," Nick said.

"Barely two months. And most of that time was spent in a professional capacity."

"I know, Hazel, I know," Nick said as soothingly as he could. "And you can so no. It's fine. Things can stay the way they are now. We can continue to see each other just like...like this never happened."

But it did happen, Hazel thought. She stared at the ring in her hand, the shining gold, the deep crimson ruby, the sparkling diamonds.

She had never reached this point in any other relationship. Did she love Nick that much? Was she ready to be a mother figure to Phoebe? There was no going back on her word once she'd given it. If she accepted, she would be fully incorporated into the Butler household.

"Unless I've spooked you for good," Nick added, searching her face. "Which I don't blame you for. I just...I wanted to make sure you knew, without a shadow of a doubt, what you meant to Phoebe." He stepped a little closer and brushed a lock of hair away from the curve of her neck, his fingertips grazing her skin, leaving a trail of heat behind. "And what you mean to me."

Hazel closed her eyes. The slim curve of the ring in her hand felt like an anchor, pinning her to reality, keeping her grounded.

She'd wanted this. Ever since Marissa's letter, Hazel had wondered if she would be pushed out, forgotten.

But was she ready to get married?

Before Hazel could make that decision, she needed the answer to one question first.

"What about Phoebe?" she said.

Nick nodded, as if he had expected her to respond that way and he wasn't taking that as a denial or an acceptance.

"I already talked to her," he said. "In fact, she picked out the ring."

Hazel raised her eyebrows. "She did?"

Nick picked up the ring, angling the gemstones toward the firelight until they gleamed and winked with brightness.

"She said you were the ruby," he replied. "With your big heart wrapped around us. The diamonds here represent me and her. You've been at the center of our lives practically since the day we met you. We'd like to keep it that way." He paused then added in a rush, "If you're willing. But if you're not—"

Hazel cupped Nick's face in her hands. He stopped, his breath caught in his throat.

"I am very willing," she said. "Yes, I'll marry you."

When she kissed him, it was a mess. She was smiling too big and he was laughing. They bumped teeth and missed each other's mouths on the first try.

It was far from perfect. But it was beautiful just the same.

***

On Monday, after Samhain weekend, Marissa met Hazel at the picnic table outside with a carafe and flaky biscuits wrapped in a box, The Eye of Newt stamped on the side in magical purple ink that sparkled in the golden autumn sunlight.

Marissa donned a hopeful smile as Hazel approached.

"Marissa," Hazel said. "I wasn't expecting you today, and certainly not at recess. Is something wrong?"

Her gaze darted to the students, searching, until she found Phoebe and Seline playing tag among the trees. They appeared to be fine.

"No, nothing's wrong," Marissa replied. She offered a mug to Hazel and held up the carafe.