Chapter Ten

The following week, Hazel's classroom was brimming with familiars of every variety—from crows and cats, to ferrets and toads. A few of the students managed to keep their familiars in line with magical leashes. But there were a handful of familiars that escaped the control of their owners. Rats scrambling from one backpack to another. Owls perched on the edge of desks. A snake curled up on the windowsill, sunning itself in the autumn light.

Hazel clapped her hands once for order.

The room went silent.

"Good morning, class," she said. "Today, I'd like all of you, one by one, to come to the front of the class and tell me about your familiar. First, I'd like someone to explain the definition of what a familiar is."

A dozen hands went up in the air.

Phoebe propped her chin in her hand and stared out the window, ignoring Hazel. Despite the chaos of the classroom, Phoebe sat alone with no familiar at her side.

Hazel pointed to Seline.

"Seline," she said. "Do you have an answer for me?"

Seline rose from her desk with a nod. "A familiar is an animal that guides you in the use of magic."

"Perfect. Why don't you start us off and tell us about your familiar?"

Seline gathered her raven onto her shoulder and marched to the front of the class, always eager to show off.

Hazel left Phoebe alone for a while. She didn't want to single Phoebe out or put her on the spot, and she certainly didn't want to play favorites. But it was painful to watch Phoebe fall so far behind her fellow students.

A parade of students followed Seline's speech, telling about their familiars. Finally, there were only five students left and Hazel could put Phoebe off no longer.

"Phoebe," she said. "Could you tell us about your familiar?"

"No," Phoebe replied. Not sullen, for once. Just a solid refusal. She'd grown to understand the power that one word wielded.

"Could you explain why, please?" Hazel said.

Phoebe shoved to her feet with a dark look in Hazel's direction.

"Because I don't have one," she said.

A ripple of confused murmurs drifted through the classroom. A witch with no familiar was rare, especially in Wildemoor. It was one thing if a witch lived in the outside world where an animal might be perceived as a pet. But Wildemoor was full to bursting with magic. Familiars were everywhere, ready and willing to bond with a witch or warlock.

Phoebe flounced into her seat again, having nothing further to say.

"Why not?" Hazel said.

At first, Phoebe didn't respond. Her gaze shifted away from Hazel and she crossed her arms.

"Mama left before I was old enough for her to get me one," Phoebe admitted.

"What about your father?"

Phoebe pressed her lips together at the mention of Nick. But Hazel pushed on.

"Has he forbidden you to have one?" she said.

"No."

"Then what is it?"

Phoebe sighed and slouched in her seat, the brim of her witch's hat nearly concealing her face from Hazel's view.

"He doesn't understand," Phoebe said. "He thinks I don't need one. That my wand is good enough for casting magic."

A common misconception among humans. Hazel would have to clarify the situation with Nick—a conversation she was not looking forward to.