Chapter Fifteen

Hazel flew straight to Bryony's house. It was a humble, two-bedroom cottage, buried deep in the heart of the woodland on Pagan Posies property. A creek bubbled nearby, peppered with red autumn leaves that drifted and swirled in the clear water, clinging to fat, mossy boulders.

The house had been hewn from pine logs, lending the building a soft, muted golden color. Window boxes were full to bursting with herbs and flowers, even this late into the growing season, thanks to Bryony's earth magic abilities. And a kitchen garden sprawled off of one side of the house, trailing with vines and spilling over with pumpkins, gourds, and sunflowers.

Hazel clattered onto the porch, shivering, and pounded on the door.

Seconds later, shuffling footsteps whispered inside the house. The door opened to reveal Sean, clad in sweatpants and a thin gray t-shirt, squinting at her with one eye open, his gaze unfocused with lingering sleep.

"Hazel?" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to speak to Bryony. As soon as possible."

"Sure, I'll go get her. Come in. It's freezing out there and you're..."

He trailed off as he took in the sight of her, wearing a flimsy silk robe, nightgown fluttering just past her knees. Sean had never seen her like this—hair unbound and swirling around her face, unkempt and fraying at the edges. He'd always seen her as Bryony's aloof, proper friend, the strict school teacher who didn't let poor behavior go uncorrected.

"I know," Hazel said. "It's a bit of an emergency."

Sean scrubbed a hand over his face and he blinked, his expression growing serious. He moved aside for Hazel to enter the house.

Hazel stepped into the house to find herself in the living room with an apple red braided rug spread across the floor, a musty but comfortable couch tucked in one corner, and a spray of houseplants nestled at the center of the room. A few were orchids and cacti from the Pagan Posies tropical greenhouse. Others were cooking herbs. At the center was a dwarf apple tree, with pale yellow fruit nestled in the branches.

Sean pulled a quilt off of the back of the couch and draped it over Hazel's shoulders.

"I'll get Bryony up," he said. He squeezed her shoulders and disappeared around the corner to the master bedroom.

Seconds later, Bryony came sliding into the living room on socked feet, her hair a wild mess, wearing an oversized t-shirt that read, NO REST FOR THE WICKED.

"What is it?" Bryony demanded. "What's wrong?"

"I kissed him," Hazel said in a tremulous voice. "I kissed Nick Butler."

Bryony stood frozen for a moment. Then she blew out a breath and rubbed her palms against her eyes. She flopped onto the couch with a sigh.

"Well, it's about time," she said.

"Bryony!"

Bryony spread her hands. "What?"

"This is bad!" Hazel hissed.

Sean shuffled out of the bedroom again, fully dressed this time in jeans and a brown Henley, and held up a hand.

"Don't mind me," he said. "I'm just getting the coffee started and I'll be making myself scarce."

"That's not necessary, babe, you know that," Bryony called as he headed for the kitchen.

"Yeah, but I promised Seline I'd help her make caramel pancakes this morning. So I'd better get a move on anyway."